Fondant Embosser Or Imprinter?

Decorating By judyPH Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:54am by joy5678

judyPH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 17

I love how this cake was done... This one is by Ron Ben and i've seen a similar effect on a cake in Martha Stewart's Weddings magazine....

Question is... did they use an embosser, imprinter, impression mat to create the small quilt effect? Where can i find this tool?

Thank you.

Judy
LL

16 replies
JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 17

Looks to me like it could be the light cover pattern. If you go to Home Depot or similar store.... look for a florescent light cover...they are long, rectangular and plastic. They have this pattern on them. Here's a cake I did with that pattern on it. No fancy equipment needed! Just a plain ole light cover icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 17

Thats a great idea never would of thought of it, thanks!

judyPH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:38am
post #4 of 17

Thank you Jen!

Could it really be the light cover? This pattern seems to have "deeper" and more pronounced recessions. Here's the close up...
LL

BakingGirl Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #5 of 17

I noticed the other day in a cake shop that there is an Ateco rolling pin sleeve which would produce an effect similar to that.

https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=18404&Category_Code=fondt&Product_Count=9

JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 17

Gee, it's darn similar! Not sure.... maybe they just pressed deeper?

Not sure....

Jen icon_smile.gif

JacqueOH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #7 of 17

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was non-skid shelf liner.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/nadshelf_padding.jpg

Could they have had a mold made from it, I wonder?

Teekakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:48am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueOH

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was non-skid shelf liner.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/nadshelf_padding.jpg

Could they have had a mold made from it, I wonder?

That is exactly what I thought! Or the bathmats. I have one hanging in my guest bath. Looks like they made a pattern from it then used sugarveil.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 17

Yep, fluorescent light cover yields a deep pattern that looks like shelf liner and some bathmats. If it were from the shelf liner or bathmat, the bumps would be inverted (pushed in, not out).

I had a class with RB-I and he showed another cake with the same pattern. He mentioned using the fluorescent light cover to get the pattern.

Rae

JacqueOH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If it were from the shelf liner or bathmat, the bumps would be inverted (pushed in, not out).

That's why I mentioned that perhaps they made a mold from it first. icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 17

I was just at the doctors and while reclining on the table I was looking up at the ceiling light, and lo and behold - it had a light cover described in this thread. And it really really looks like it does on the cake!

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 17

OMG! I never thought of using a light cover!
Jen, if you have any other great advice on how to make impressions (other than buying expensive mats), fire away! icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 17

You know...if you just look around you....look at things in a way that say "what kind of texture would that create"? You might be surprised what you can use!

I can't take credit for the lite cover...I'm not sure where I heard it from .

Jen icon_smile.gif

judyPH Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 17

Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to look for that flourescent liner when i go to the US tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

Judy

joy5678 Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #15 of 17

I'm always on the lookout for supplies everywhere. At Hobby Lobby they have a designed vinyl material that would make a beautiful cake design. The texture is just right to press onto fondant for cake covering. Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to get about a yard & see what happens. Use your imagination & you will be surprised at what you can find.

marthajo1 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #16 of 17

so can someone tell me how to actually use it? Do you do it after it is on the cake?

joy5678 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #17 of 17

I would think that the best way to do it would be to roll out your fondant, lay pattern on it, roll over them both with rolling pin & then transfer to cover cake. Be sure to gently fit it to cake so that you don't ruin the pattern. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%