Red Velvet Cake Question

Baking By playingwithsugar Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm by LeanneW

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever tried using gel or paste color, in lieu of the 2 ounces of liquid red color, called for in most red velvet cake recipes?

If so, do you recall how much was used to achieve the color?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

8 replies
ac2steachk Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 9

I made a red velvet last weekend and used my Americolor. I still squeezed in quite a bit, but not a whole bottle. It was a nice, dark red.

BakingGirl Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't tried but I was thinking if you do try you probably have to add in another 2 oz of another liquid, just so the batter has the right consistency.

leily Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 9

I usually measure out 2oz of water then color it with my americolor gel or wilton gel until it is a nice color. I still need the 2oz of liquid so I just color the water.

cupcake_cutie Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9

I used the gel coloring a couple of weeks ago and it came out fine.

likitiki Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

I used a small container of the wilton no taste red. I do not like using the liquid because of the aftertaste effect. The recipe came out wonderful. HTH

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, All, for your responses. I will be trying this in the near future.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

I love Sarah's red velvet cake recipe here on CC, and it calls for 2 bottles. I did it once like that, but the next time i only used 1 bottle, no extra liquid added.

IT WAS DELICIOUS! icon_smile.gif I couldn't find a difference in color or taste! HTH!!!

LeanneW Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 9

I use Wilton's RV recipe on thier website. It uses one ounce bottle of no taste red and it is very red and moist.

I personally hate RV but everyone else loves it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%