Mmf And A Pasta Machine Ques???

Decorating By chikie Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm by MissRobin

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

Anyone have any tips on using a pasta machine and MMF? I'm trying to roll some out to make strips for a bow, but it's coming out kinda shredded? HELP icon_cry.gif LOL!!

Thanks,
Tiffany

3 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 4

I would like to know too. I'm having trouble too, and my husband keep asking my if I'm using my pasta machine and I really need to justify me buying it, because I bought for fondant use. My other pasta machine is for making pasta.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 4

I just got one and had a horrible time with it at first! Now, somehow it is working fine for me.

At first the fondant kept sticking to the rollers and shredding it, so I diligently kept cleaning it off. Then I had the genius idea of adding crisco to the rollers to solve the sticking problem, but then it was too slick to grab the fondant.

So next I wiped the rollers to remove excess crisco, and dusted them with conrnstarch. Starting at the widest setting, it still didn't look very smooth, but as I adjusted the setting gradually each time I rolled it through it worked for me. And I was almost ready to return it!

Definitely start at the highest setting and work your way down, and don't give up! It will eventuallly be fine. Maybe the new rollers need time to "season" like a cast iron pan. (I know they're not porous, I just can't explain what happens) Good luck!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 4

Unfortunately, I think it is just one of the problems with MMF. However, used it the other day in my pasta machine and I had to use cornstarch on fondant and rollers. I started with a wider setting and worked my way down to the smaller. After I got it the thickness I wanted I ran it through again at that setting and it finally worked!! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%