Need Help Or Ideas W/ A Wedding Shower Cake

Decorating By Sunshine0507 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 1:41am by lovetofrost

Sunshine0507 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't been on here in a while b/c I went back to work Full-time but have still been making cakes for my children, family, friends, etc... Well, my mother and some of her friends asked me to make a cake for a wedding shower they are giving this weekend. They want a 10" round cake. The brides colors are yellow and baby blue. Unfortunately, they are leaving the decorating ideas up to me (which can be difficult, esp if you knew my mother's friends). I still have not taken classes and have pretty much taught myself how to use or do most of the stuff out there. But my dilemma is that I've never used fondant b/f and I think I might have to use it for this cake. I also need to find a way to make the frosting smooth...this cake pretty much has to be perfect (I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to make this cake the best one I've ever done). Since the cake is going to be 10", does anyone have a cake mix extension recipe? I'm going to use a whipped/buttercream frosting (I don't want a thick/sugary frosting, but at least something that I can use to decorate with at the same time).
Any help or ideas will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance...

3 replies
akgirl10 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 4

Wilton's chart says 6 cups for each 10" layer, so you'll need two mixes. You could do the extra egg and box of instant pudding for each mix, that would probably make a high layer.
Unless you have some practice time, I would skip the fondant. Also, I've read many times here that you can't put fondant over whipped icings, they are too light. You could do a buttercrem cake with fondant accents. I think I saw a picture of a cake in one of my wilton class books, it was frosted light blue with daisies on the top and bottom border.

As for smooth icing, check out the articles here, if you use a crusting recipe you can use the viva method, which works great. Good luck!

woodthi32 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

Good luck to you!If you are going to use fondant, definitely practice covering a cake ahead of time, and consider using mmf instead of storebought.
If you want to do buttercream, it can still look perfect. I would tell you to order sugarshack's dvd, but you would not have enough time, I bet. Make sure you dam your filling with a thicker buttercream to avoid bulging, and go buy yourself a roll of Viva paper towels, preferably without print. An angled spatula is absolutely essential, but I bet you already have thaticon_smile.gif
The brides dress is a good place to get an idea of the kind of lines she likes, and, if there is a theme, google the photo callery here. Anyway, that's where I would start!

lovetofrost Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 4

If you aren't doing fondant and want a whipped icing. wilton's extra special icing is delicious and easy to make and holds up very well. It doesn't taste like crisco and powdered sugar. it is light and yummy. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%