Chocolate Chip Cookies Pricing

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm by HerBoudoir

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 28

I'm making approximately 50 chocolate chip cookies for career day at my sister's school. They will be (as far as my understanding goes) individually bagged.
How much should I charge?
Does it matter if they are chewy or crunchy, if they are bagged?

TIA!

27 replies
fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 28

My cookies are about 4 inches around. I always bag them and I charge $5 a dozen.

Missy

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 28

I don't think $5/dozen would even cover my costs. How do you make any profit on that?

yffrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yffrank Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 28

When I individually bag them I charge .75 to $1.00 each.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 28

It depends where you live, i charge like yffrank $1.00 when are individually bag them.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 28

caketeen09.. I would think you need to start by figuring out how big your cookies will be ! That makes a big difference, at least to me it does ! The larger the cookie the less you get out of a batch . Also depends on what you pay for everything including the bags, ribbons etc ??

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 28

No kidding.. If I made 4" cookies I'd hardly clear costs at $5/dozen. A bag of chips alone is $3.00.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #8 of 28

My cost for a dozen choc chip is $1.56. I sell them for $6.

I get my choc chips at Sam's ... 72 oz for $8.38 = $0.116 per oz (x 12 oz bag = $1.92 per bag). Compare this to the 36 oz bag at Walmart, which breaks down to $0.173 per oz = $2.07/bag.

I use 54 oz (3/4 of the 72 oz bag) for my super-batch, which yields 150 to 200 cookies (can't recall sitting here right now).

I personally don't like a cookie that is ALL choc chip and oh yeah, there's a little bit of cookie holding it together. I say that if you eat one of my cookies and in that bite you have nothing but cookie ... no choc chip, no nuts, no raisins, no nuthin' ... then you've STILL tasted the best dang cookie you've ever had in your life! I really don't like those "gourmet" cookies that are so full of "stuff" you can't taste the cookie ... heck anybody can cover up a bad cookie with "stuff"! icon_biggrin.gif

It's the cookie, man, the COOKIE!!! icon_cool.gif

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #9 of 28

Oh I agree with you there Debi. I don't like a pound of chocolate in them either.. actually my dream cookie is a chocolate chip cookie with no chips. I use Ghirardelli chocolate chips to make cookies and not in bulk so my costs are a bit different.

fiddlesticks Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #10 of 28

indydebi.. I also agree ! But we dont know what price she is paying for her supplies. I also like to make the large 4in cookies for sure if Im going to bag them seperate . I also get what ever I can at sams. Good deals on the chips for sure !

indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

actually my dream cookie is a chocolate chip cookie with no chips.

Oh yeah baby! And I actually tried making the cookies without the chocolate chips .... and the cookie itself tastes different. So I sort out the low-volume chip ones for me! icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:47am
post #12 of 28

sorry to hijack the thread but how do you make 4" cookies? what scoop do you use? I have the 10 and the 24, i use the 24 for cupcakes and the 10 for cookies but they're not as big as 4".

fiddlesticks Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #13 of 28

cupcakeshoppe..I use an icecream scoop, sorry dont know the size ? But I think maybe it also has to do with the spreading of the cookie ? I like the big old fashion cookies .Like what you would think of as the old refridgerater type cookies. They were always large,and pretty thick ! Dont know if that makes any since or not !

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Oh I agree with you there Debi. I don't like a pound of chocolate in them either.. actually my dream cookie is a chocolate chip cookie with no chips. I use Ghirardelli chocolate chips to make cookies and not in bulk so my costs are a bit different.

Last time I bought Ghiradelli at Walmart, they were $2.34 for a 12 ounce bag. Is that a possibility for you?

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 28

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, the TJ "brand" semisweet chips are actually made by Ghiardelli and cost around $1.49 for a 1 lb bag.

I actually get bars of dark Belgian chocolate and chop it up instead of using pre-formed chocolate chips in cc cookies....between that, the Madagascar bourbon vanilla, real butter, and my "secret ingredient", all at supermarket prices....yep it's probably close if not over to $5 per dozen cost. If I had to add the cost of bags and time to bag them individually...hmmm.

Sure, they're fussy, but I like them icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 28

bourbon vanilla ... now THAT sounds like a kick!!

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 28

Haha - it's actually a variety of vanilla bean....really good stuff, much better than supermarket brand IMHO.

Of course I'm experimenting with making my own vanilla extract right now and it only has two ingredients - vanilla beans and vodka icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 28

Ah MANNNNNNNN!!!!!!! And you had me all pumped up! icon_lol.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 28

Mwahahahah (and just what do you think that secret ingredient might be?)

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 28

I like to do the same thing as you Sue.. with the good chipped chocolate and butter and madagascar burbon vanilla. I don't sell cookies though.. I just make them for the family. I was just thinking that IF I were to sell them.. $5/dozen would barely clear my costs.

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #21 of 28

ooooh.. got me thinking about my liquor cabinet.. icon_wink.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 28

2 tablespoons of whatever you think will go good with chocolate chips icon_wink.gif

It's funny because my boyfriend insists he loves the "just plain" chocolate chip cookies..."don't add anything weird to them"....he has no clue what goes into the "just plain" ones LOL

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 28

Hehehe.. I love it. "Just plain".. icon_lol.gif

You should make him some "just plain" ones someday with crisco, immitation vanilla, and wal*mart chips.. see if he likes that.. icon_wink.gif.

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #24 of 28

Oh and now you have me wanting to try your "just plain" cookies.. do you ship??? icon_wink.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #25 of 28

Hahaha no. thumbs_up.gif

The great thing about the chopped chocolate is that you have the chunks, but you also have the "shards" which just sort of disappear into the cookie...mmm....

If TJ's discontinued their Pounder Plus bars, I'd be so screwed LOL They've really spoiled me.

And yeah...those "just plain" chocolate chip cookies took me probably a dozen batches over a year to perfect both the recipe and the baking method. Toll House they are not.

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #26 of 28

Yeah.. I am still working on my perfect cc cookie. I too love the lil'shards that disappear when you bake. I wish I had a Trader Joe's near me.. icon_cry.gif

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #27 of 28

Oh, I too wish we had a TJ's near us...closest ANYTHING to me is 2 hours away any direction...lol. I wonder if you can order online with them?

I discovered my "secret ingrediant" and it has totaly improved the quality of my CC cookies. They are firm but fluffy and cook even all the way through, not just brown on the bottom. I may need to give HerBoudoirs secret ingrediant a try too, if I think I figured out what "it" is...hahahaha. Guess I am not only going to be making a bazillion cupcakes (thanks to that other thread... icon_rolleyes.gif ) but quite a few cookies to boot!

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #28 of 28

Hahahah I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...

Unfortunately TJ's is NOT around the corner - it's about 55 miles away, and during the school semester, there's no way I can get up there. So I have to be strategic and stock up when I can. I'm out of TJ's MB vanilla, so I was using the much more expensive Nielsen Massey (a favorite, but about 3 times as expensive as TJ's)....fortunately I snagged some good vanilla beans and bean paste elsewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%