How Can I Make A Gerber Daisy In Gum Paste

Baking By chachi01 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:06am by danasflowers

chachi01 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to make Gerber Daisies in Gum Paste or Fondant. I have a cake for this upcoming weekend and need to make some for the cake. I know how to make the regular daisies but these are typically larger and much more colorful. Any ideas?

Thanks,
mercy icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
tiptop57 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7
cupsncakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, thanks for posting that tiptop47. I have the PME cutter but I wasn't sure how to use it to make a gerbera. So far I've only done daisies. I can highly reccomend this cutter, never have I made flowers so quick!

LeanneW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

does anyone have another link to that gerbera tutorial?

this link won't work for me.

thank you

cupsncakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:11am
post #5 of 7

You are right, it was working a while ago, but now it just says "closed" when I try to find the site. Sorry, I'm not sure what you do next.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:08am
post #6 of 7

Here are some that I made out of fondant. It would work the same with gumpaste of course icon_biggrin.gif

I used the white plastic Wilton daisy cutters that come in the gumpaste class kit. I cut three of the largest size (rolled the fondant a little thick so I could thin it to be really big petals), thinned the petals and cupped them a little bit, then stacked them up,and cut two of the next size, rolled the petals wider instead of longer with the ball tool, put them on, then cut one of the smallest, thinned the petals long, putit on and then put in a yellow center and pushed so that the first row of petals curled in over the yellow center a little bit.

I bet they would look better dried on a piece of crumpled foil with a slight indentation in the middle. Looking at them now, that's what I would do...I like to put foil on top of a muffin tin, then push it a little bit into the holes to make a more natural flower shape. Oh, and use a brown middle for the orange one...but I didn't think of it then.

They had faded to nearly white by three days after I made them...if I ever make some for a real project I guess I will have to keep them covered until I use them.

Here's the flower I was copying. http://www.flower-pictures-online.com/pink-gerber-daisy.html

danasflowers Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:06am
post #7 of 7

one thing that I do on the petals is use my dresdin tool to make the petal 2x. This gives a more "gerbera" look to the daisy instead of using the "heel" 1x.

Try it. Do it on the left and right side of each petal, not down the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%