Does A 6", 8", 10" Tiered Cake Look Right?

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm by Iheartcake

Iheartcake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 15

I placed the pans one on top of the other and there really isn't much of an edge on each tier. Do these sizes look ok when stacked? I won't have time/money to go and buy 9" & 12" before next week.. so it's going to have to work.. but what should I expect?? Will it look ok?

14 replies
costumeczar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 15

I do that size relatively frequently...They look fine, it's just not much of a ledge on each tier if you're planning on putting a lot of flowers on them. There's room, just not a whole lot!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 15

My personal prefernce is 3 to 4 inch difference. The 2in difference doesn't have difference between them for me.

I have seen some cake designs that are just 2in difference that look good, so it could depend on the design you are doing.

Iheartcake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 15

Hmm.. I do have a bit of detail around the edges (just thinking of that now).. so I guess I should invest in the larger pans... I really just don't have the money this week thumbsdown.gif Oh well.. must think of it as an investment... Thank you!

springlakecake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 15

I also prefer a larger difference, but it does look fine. here is one I did 6,8,10 http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=57467

tiptop57 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 15

A 6, 8 and 10 will look like a pyramid. And traditionally you never want anything bigger then a 6" on top so try a 6, 9, and 12 for a more balanced look.

shellzey Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 15

my sweet sixteen cake in my gallery are 6'8' and 10'

HerBoudoir Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 15

I think a 6 8 10 look just fine - we did a couple of them in the cakes class I took, and there was still plenty of room to be creative with the ledge areas icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 15

I do that size lots, and yes, there is not a whole lot of room on the edges, and yes, it does look very pyramid-y.

janbabe Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 15

You could always set the tiers towards the back of the cake instead of putting them in the center.
This will give you quite a bit more room at the front of the cakes and just around the sides.

My Roses Wedding cake in my photos is a 10-8-6, but I placed each tier towards the back of the lower tier which gave me a bit more room for my roses and it doesn't look like a pyramid shape and has a more balanced look.

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 15

THis is a 6/8/10. I think it depends on big the border designs are on whether it looks "funny" or not.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=439463

Iheartcake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 15

Here is a pic of the cake. I like the idea of having he cakes slightly to the back. This is for my sister's wedding party.. she's getting married at the Justice of the peace on friday, and having a party Saturday.. so this is my gift (which is why I'm being stingy on buying new pans.. I'm not getting any money for it... not that I'd accept any from her.. but still icon_wink.gif )

And off topic a little.. how exactly would you do the little black flowery things on the side. Would you think it's just black buttercream piped on for the tiny details? For the flowers I'm hoping to find some sort of teeny cutter.. if not I'll have to make it out of RI. What do you guys think?
LL

springlakecake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 15

yeah, I think that is probably a 3 to 4 inch difference in pan sizes with that cake. I think it would look better because of those swag things along the border. Otherwise there will be no ledge. Alternatively you could just do a ribbon as a border.

You could make the flowers out of royal icing or with fondant or gumpaste

janbabe Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 15

the flowers look like like they have been made with small blossom cutters possibly out of gum paste. Though they are quite hard to see, so they might have been piped with RI.

I agree with Merissa, I think that cake has a bigger inch difference between tiers, so would look better if you wanted to do swags.

Otherwise, maybe a bead border, or with ribbon instead?

Iheartcake Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 15

Yeah.. I think I"m going to have to buy the bigger pans. I am quite fearful of the swag actually icon_surprised.gif But ribbon would take away from the little flowery detail.. a bead border could work.. but the swags really accent the black flowerly detail.. I'll at least try it and have the bead border as a back-up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%