Confused About Servings - Wilton And Earlene's

Decorating By fabfour Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm by fabfour

fabfour Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a reception in a few weeks they have requested approx. 200 servings. There will be a 3 tiered cake plus a stacked book cake (2 books). I've been going over sizes and servings, it's just not panning out.

If I go by the Wilton servings then the 8,10,12 inch round will give me 118 servings. Then I was trying to decide between 2 - 9x13 (2 layers) or 2 10" square both of which will give 100 servings. Total of 218. It would be over some but I would rather have too much than not enough.

BUT...

I got out my chart from Earlene's servings and the 8,10,12 will only give 90 and the 2 10" square will give 80 for a total of 170. I was thinking it would be off by maybe 10-15 but not 48!

What chart do you go by? I don't want to be thinking I have 18 more servings and actually be short 48?

Thanks for any help.

Missy

2 replies
indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 3

who is cutting the cake? Is it the on-site staff at the venue? A professional caterer? Aunt Millie? Professionals tend to use the wilton chart ... 1x2x4 serving size is industry standard.

I use the wilton wedding chart to determine my pricing .... and by the way, it HAPPENS to also show the number of servings. They can cut them any size they want, but THIS is how many the cake is designed to serve.

I would recommend you decide what serving chart you are going to use and stick with it for consistency.

Here is a step by step on how to cut a cake to achieve wilton servings. Feel free to link to this or share with Aunt Millie when she cuts the cake.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

fabfour Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Indydebi.

I'll be the one there to cut the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%