Question About States That Do Not License Home Bakeries

Business By CakesbyBecca Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm by CakeDiva73

CakesbyBecca Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 3

I am brand new to cake decorating and absolutely LOVE it! I would eventually like to make a business out of it. I would prefer a home business of course, but apparently, that's not a possibility in CA unless I have a separate kitchen (right?). How do I go about building a business? Are there commercial kitchens I can rent? If so, how do I go about finding them? Is there any other way I can legally make and sell cakes in CA?
TIA for your help.

2 replies
Marci Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 3

Renting space in a commercial kitchen is a great way to go - if you can find one. I would start by calling local churches and restaurants and see if they are willing to let you in. I would plan on having my own insurance for the business, that way the kitchen doesn't have to worry about that. They will either charge you per hour or per job.

Hope this helps...

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 3

I am in Central CA too and it sucks - no home based food businesses! icon_sad.gif I recently came across a business who has corporate accounts - I mean BIG, household name businesses that order from her and come to find out, she is totally unlicensed. I was floored. She said no one ever asked.

Now I know there is a whole big debate and I am not getting into that part of it....we all had to start somewhere and no one opens a shop without some sort of customer base. And I also totally understand the frustration legit businesses must feel when the homebaker gets all the business because they undercut the competition (no overhead, insurance, etc..) It's not fair.

So in CA, you either open a shop or rent space. Where are you in CA? I am near Modesto and have been looking to rent space in a cafe.....PM if you want to chat and commiserate more, lol!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%