Dulce De Leche Frosting

Decorating By floreksa Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm by MOBOGAL

floreksa Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 7

My sister and I are attempting an apple filled cupcake with a dulce de leche / caramel frosting for mother's day (along with a black forest cupcake).

Our first attempt at the frosting was an utter failure (TASTY) but not presentable. We tried just whipping cream with jarred dulce de leche ice cream topping - didn't think it would work, and it didn't. LOL

Anyway, anyone have good recipes for a caramel-y frosting that won't be overwhelmingly sweet?

We'd like a lighter (texture) frosting more like a whipped cream compared to a bc.

6 replies
Petit-four Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Sarah --

One thought -- take the jarred dulce de leche topping, spread some on top of the cup cake, and then pipe on swirls of your favorite whipped cream/ icing. If you use real whipped cream, do this step last-minute, just before serving them. It would be a great texture and flavor contrast -- taking cupcakes to the "next level." thumbs_up.gif

I've made two caramel-type fillings, old-fashioned (more of a Southern recipe) which is cooked butter and brown sugar, then whipped with powdered sugar. The other is home-made dulce de leche (slowly cooked sweetened condensed milk with vanilla). They do differ in taste -- and I just use them "under" other icings if I want a fancier look.

Hope this helps.

delisa01 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 7

Hi- Around Thanksgiving, I made apple cake with Brown-Sugar SMBC. Here is the link to the recipe:

It was good!

floreksa Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, that recipe sounds amazing!!

It wasn't too buttery? I've never had a swiss style BC.

Looks like we'll have to do another test batch this weekend icon_lol.gif

Petit-four - great idea! I'm just wondering how I'll cover the coring of the cupcakes...Maybe a little of the apple on top also. Might be a smidgen messy, but thankfully its only for us, so I'll go with messy to get the taste we're after right now. Its funny I was trying to convince my sister that dulce de leche and caramel are very different tastes. She doesn't think so. icon_rolleyes.gif

delisa01 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't find it too buttery. It was delish with the cake. Make sure to eat at room temp.

Good luck!

Petit-four Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for sharing the recipe, delisa01 -- sounds delicious! I'm going to guess the recipe has the "Southern" caramel taste.

I love them both...and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks they are different (though some people "taste" mocha and chocolate as one and the same...!?!). icon_rolleyes.gif

MOBOGAL Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 7

Have you tried the Whimsical Bakehouse House buttercream recipe? In their newest book, they mix Dulce de leche with the buttercream. I made this the other day, and it was awesome. The house buttercream is very light and fluffy, and not too sweet (it also doesn't crust). You could add as much or as little dulce as you want. I made my own by heating sweetened condensed milk, but you can also find it pre-made on the hispanic food aisle. I tried it on my cupcakes 2 ways: mixed in with the BC and on the cupcake alone, and liked it better on the cupcake with BC on top of it. Hope this helps! If you need the recipe, it can be found in the forums.

Quote by @%username% on %date%