My Timeline Is Off... And I Feel Overwhelmed.. Help

Business By wgoat5 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:06am
post #1 of 22

No I don't do as many large cakes as most people.. but next week I have 2 large cakes ... in one week which I haven't ever done before...

I have 2 due this weekend..

?? is..

I have a large cake for 150 next thursday and one for 200 next Saturday..

When should I bake... make icing.. ??

I know I can freeze the cakes.. But I would have to bake all day for both of these...and icing will probably take 1/2 a day..

How would you do it?

Please post your timeline for me.. Usually I have no problems but for some reason I can't think...

Thank you

21 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:28am
post #2 of 22

If I have orders for the weekend, I always do the housework on the Monday
and do all my baking on a Tuesday and then freeze the whole lot.
Take out on a Thursday evening or Friday morning very early and do my frosting then.
Like, my birthday coming up next weekend and an order for the middle of next week, I am going to do all my baking tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thats just me, don't know how others think or work their schedule.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:37am
post #3 of 22

I feel your pain! this week I have the most cakes to bake ever. So heres my timeline hope it helps!
Sunday bake 6" 8" cake for one order
Monday bake 6,8,10
Tuesday bake 12", 15 cupcakes a and a 9"
Wednesday bake 15" and 12 cupcakes
Thursday bake 12"
Freeze everything then Friday make icing as needed. I dont make alot at one time I like to make it as I need it. While all this I still work during the day.........
I will be thinking of you!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 22

Wow Paula.. You need some help? LOL

I would hire someone to make icing for me if I had that many !!!!

I feel for ya my friend!

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 22

I work a fulltime job. If I have a cake due by Saturday, then I start the Sunday before on fondant decorations, flowers etc (sometimes the week before). If needed then I still work on them Mon and Tues evening. Wednesday I bake (usually up late late!). Frost Thursday evening, once again up late late. Friday evening I start decorating and once again another late night lol. I have frozen a cake before to try and prevent the late nights. It helped somewhat. For me getting the icing out of the way is such a big relief!!!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #6 of 22

Oh goodness I hate making icing icon_sad.gif .. with a passion

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 22

I do similar to what everyone else mentioned. If I have a lot, I bake early in the week and freeze. I also go ahead and make up frosting. I use Sugarshack's recipe and put it in big containers I got at Sam's, then store in fridge. Nothing irritates me more than having to mix icing at the last minute. YOu just have to remember to take it out a few hours before to come to room temp and then stir it up well and it's ready to go.

HTH,
Susan

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #8 of 22

Christi - I feel your pain too! Because I also work a full time job I try not to have more than two cakes a week. Didn't work out that way this week -People changed up dates and I have ended up with a very large 5 tiered retirement cake due on Saturday, A baseball themed cake on Friday, A cake with the theme from "wicked" (some play or something about the witch from wizard of oz??) also due on Friday. I have ended up taking off Thursday to work on all these and I am trying to work out my timeline for baking today also - one of the big problems is not enough room in my fridge or freezer for all these cakes! So...I too will be thinking about you and hoping it all works out well for all of us!
Karon

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #9 of 22

I make SS's icing but she said you don't have to store it in the fridge .. hmm... I was going to go ahead and make my icing tonight for the cakes this weekend... and next Sunday make the icing for the next week..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #10 of 22

I have a 20 qt Hobart, and even with that I have to make multiple batches of icing. If you have a restaurant supply store, you might want to go get a large food safe tub (or an empty 20 pound bucket from Satin Ice). Make batches and batches of icing and store them. You can make icing at least a weekk ahead. When ready to use, fill your mixer bowl and cream as slowly as your mixer will go for up to 10 minutes. You'll have the advantage of having your icing premade and you'll end up with the creamiest, smoothest icing imaginable.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Wow Paula.. You need some help? LOL

!

Sure come on out!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #12 of 22

For me.. I have 5 dozen cupcakes due Saturday morning..
They want royal icing flowers on top, so I will work on those Tuesday and Wednesday nights, Thursday if need be.
Friday bake, ice and place the flowers on top.

I have 4 orders of cakes/cookies that need to go out Tuesday in the mail.
Saturday, making all the sugar cookie dough. Probably 3 batches of NFSC.
Sunday, bake the cookies and make the MMF. Also bake the cakes.

Monday is one long day of decorating.

I also buy coffee in bulk icon_smile.gif

I hope you get it all done with ease!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #13 of 22

I work fulltime too. I try to do as much as possible ahead of time. I have cakes due next weekend that I really should've worked on yesterday! I bake in the evenings early in the week and freeze. There is no other way to get around it for me. Monday I make a list to see if I need to order any supplies for this cake. Make icing Weds or Thurs evening, take cakes out Friday morning & decorate Friday evening or Saturday morning.

I pretty much use Sugarshack's recipe w/o the hi-ratio, and it's fine to sit out a few days. If it will be a week or more, I refrigerate.

You can do it! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #14 of 22

YES COFFEE icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your wonderful replies..

makes me feel SOOO much better icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #15 of 22

The frosting is okay to sit out, but i have an extra fridge and it is out of the way in there.

Leah, what a great idea about mixing if a little before use. Can't wait to try that, expecially since I've got my new 7 qt Cuisinart coming in a few days.

Susan

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 22

I have asked a few times in other areas...but how do you all freeze them? What do you wrap the cakes with? Do you crumb coat before freezing? Thaw before frosting with BC? I haven't ever frozen a cake but may need to do so very soon....

leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 22

I bake, torte, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I have an upright NON-self defrosting (very important) freezer just for cakes, so there are no other smells that the cakes might pick up.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #18 of 22

I had 8 cakes this past weekend! I have never been THAT busy, so I knew I had to plan, plan, plan!!!!

I'm a nerd, so I created this spreadsheet. I had to - otherwise I knew I would miss something. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 22

Ok, leah, i think I know the answer, but could you please explain the non-self-defrosting? icon_smile.gif Didn't know they still made them LOL

leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 22

Non-self defrosting freezers stay at a constant temp. Self-defrosting are always cycling so that there's no frost build up. Of course, things get "less frozen" in the process. Yes, you can still find them in stores. They're generally the cheapest model on the showroom floor.

beachcakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks! That's what I thought! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #22 of 22

Ok well Leah I'm bringing my cakes to your freezer icon_wink.gif LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%