Need Help From South Africans!

Decorating By sundowng Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:12am by superstar

sundowng Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:06am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,
I live in Taiwan, and I'm meeting with a South African couple next week about doing their wedding cake. I know that fruit cakes are more traditional there, but I've already told them that I don't make fruit cakes. They said chocolate would be fine. What kind of icing and/or fondant is most typical there? I would like to do a bit of a tasting for them, but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Please give me some ideas! As far as design, what's more common there? Usually as the foreigners over here are already compromising on so many of those "this is how we do it back home" things, I would like to make their wedding cake as close to what they could get in South Africa as possible.

Please help! TIA!

5 replies
Shamitha Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 6

Hi. I'm formerly from S.A but I do know that chocolate cake or vanilla sponge is fine. Fondant & buttercream is used. For ideas on S.A wedding cakes, take a look at Riana's photos. Send her a p.m, maybe she could be of help. Good luck icon_smile.gif

sundowng Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:30am
post #3 of 6

Thanks SEAQUEEN! I'll do that.

Shamitha Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:33am
post #4 of 6

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Eliza Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:58am
post #5 of 6

Hi sundowng,

Sorry can't really help you for I'm no expert on wedding cakes, but as seaqueen said, vanilla sponge and chocolate cakes are fine as well as fondant and butter cream.

Please be patient with my fellow South Africans that can help you, we are in a week with 3 public holidays in it. (Yesterday, Thursday and Friday)

Have a nice day!

superstar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 6

I am sure the couple will tell you what kind of decoration they would like.South Africa ranks very high on the list when it comes to beautiful cakes & I am sure the couple have something in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%