What Should I Do?

Lounge By nikki72905 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm by nikki72905

nikki72905 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:43am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,
I come to you for advice because I respect all of you. I work pretty far away from my home, and make only a little more than min. wage. I do enjoy what I do, and my clients most of the time (isn't it that way for all of us, LOL)

My question is, Gas is getting mighty expensive, when do I know when I need to look for another job, my husband has a decent job, however, we are feeling the "pinch" of gas, but who isn't.

I work 23 miles away from my home (one way). So gas is costing almost as much as I make in the first hour of me working, if it goes up anymore, which I am sure it will by memorial day, It will be more than what I make in an hour. There is not many places to work near my home, however I might be able to find a number of part time jobs to combat the full time job. The benefits and such are not an issue, because I have none at the present (I don't even get paid days off unless I am with the company for two years, I have been with this company for almost 9 months. After two years, I will get one paid day off. My husband is the one that carries the health insurance etc. I am currently working 6 days a week, I was working 7, but needed a day off. I know my clients will be extremly upset to see me leave, however, I feel like my family is starting to suffer because of my job and the money it takes for me to drive to work. I might add, that my work is paying me gas mileage, however with what they give me it pays for one day's drive to work, two if I am lucky.

Any insit or help you have on this subject would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you,
Nikki

3 replies
michellenj Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 4

Whatever you do, don't leave your current job before you have another one lined up.

What do you do? Is there a possibility that you could get a pay increase, or be moved to another, better paying position?

VannaD Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

I think once you start questioning whether or not its time to quit, then its probably time, unless of course you can get some kind of raise. I agree you should line up another job before quiting though. I had wanted to go back to work, to help with bills, but only getting min. wage and the way gas is going, i would have been working 5 hrs a night and made only a few dollars after paying for gas to get there and back

nikki72905 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 4

The raise is not going to happen, unfortunatly the company I work for only gives raises once every three years.

There is a possibility that I could get moved closer to home, however I would no longer be with my current clients, which is upsetting because I know how much they like me, and it will make them very angry. I don't like to cause others stress.. however, I don't want to cause my family stress either... It is such a hard choice.
The reason I work is because my husband has to pay an enormous amount of child support, because of how much he makes and the fact that we do not have any children. We are however, trying to get custody because His son wants to live with us. If that happens. I will not have to work more than part time, if at all.
Our hearing is in June, Maybe I should hang on til then.
I currently work nights (11P to 7 A) M,T,TH,F,Sa,Su... 6 days a week, with no vacation, on a little more than min. wage for a company with no benefits, days off, or raises. (Makes me want to get a new job anyway when I put it like that LOL) but I do like my clients which is what stops me. I would love to start my own business... or work from home, but I just don't know where to start

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%