Tuxedo Cookie Help

Decorating By arosstx Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 8:54am by redpanda

arosstx Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #1 of 8

Not being much of a decorated cookie maker, how do I do these in an order that makes sense and won't run together? I have to do 200 of them for my daughter's senior prom this week - yikes!

Round cookie, black tuxedo, white shirt w/ 3 black buttons and black bowtie. Obviously I have to do the black background first, but do I do the white shirt then too? Sorry to sound like such an idiot.

Thanks to anyone that can help me, I really appreciate it.

7 replies
kansaswolf Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 8

Actually, I was thinking you could do these similar to the tuxedo strawberries... Of course, then you'd have to have browner tuxedos because of the chocolate... Dip the front in white choocolate, cool, then dip each side in dark chocolate at an angle to get the "V" shape in the front. Then pipe in the tie and buttons. It'd be fairly easy, as long as you keep the chocolate warm...

If you were gonna use fondant, I'd put the white on first, then layer on some black pieces for the tux. Round white piece, semi-circle black pieces. Pipe in tie and buttons.

For buttercream, I'd still do the white first. But it would matter less for this method... What I would do is ice them white, then pipe in the coat, buttons and tie. You could also do the "star" method, and just use your star tip to make the tux like you would make stuff on a character pan cake. But this would leave you with some SORE hands, I'd think...

You could also do a color-flow (I believe that is what it's called). Outline the black parts, fill with black color flow. Outline white part that doesn't border the black and fill with white. Pipe in buttons and tie.

Hope that helps! And in the time it took me to type that, you probably got five answers... icon_biggrin.gif Good luck with the cookies!

chqtpi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #3 of 8

ok....first of all you are not an idiot icon_smile.gif

secondly...are you using mmf, royal, or glaze?

is this what you are looking for? (except for round?) these were done with royal icing and glaze...i outlined with royal first and then flooded with glaze after the royal set..then i did the details with royal...i hope this helped!

aztomcat Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 8

I haven't made tuxedo cookies, but I have made tuxedo strawberries........ I dip them in white first then once dry, I redip them at an angle in dark chocolate. I think the same concept could work for the cookies, dip the top in royal icing. For a neater cookie, you could hold it over the black royal and paint it on at an angle. Once dry, dip the cookie twice in black royal at an angle for the lapels. Add details with a decorator tip/bag. Here are some difft. pictures I found. One is here at cc, maybe you can pm the baker.

arosstx Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

Sorry guys, I was not very specific. I am doing royal/glaze, so the ones like chqtpi has posted but round instead of heart shaped.

Do I outline the black and flood it, then the white? I am thinking that I outline in black, close the shirt portion off with white, then flood black, then flood the white 'triangle' shirt?? Let dry, then pipe the buttons/bowtie? Does this sound right? I am just afraid the white shirt will get black on it or bleed, or something horrible.

arosstx Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #6 of 8

aztomcat, thanks SO MUCH. Those cookies posted here on cc are almost exactly like the ones I'm doing, just round instead of hearts. I took your advice and pm'd her, so cross your fingers she responds.... icon_smile.gif

chqtpi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 8

ok...i have to do a bunch of these for June too..so I feel your pain icon_smile.gif

the bleeding is a valid concern and if you are worried, outline the black on about a dozen of them and then go back and flood with black...then outline another dozen with black and go back an flood with black after about the 4th or 5th dozen taht way..the black glaze on the first will be "soft" set and shouldnt bleed..if time is not a factor then go ahead and outline and flood all the black and then all the white and then details..its more time consumiing..but its your peice of mind..its honestly up to you.

i hope that made sense icon_smile.gif

redpanda Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:54am
post #8 of 8

I did these http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_259553.html (hearts, not round, but otherwise what you're doing), by doing the white shirt part first. I had to do 60 brides and 60 grooms, so I did the white part on all 120 at once. By the time I finished, the white had dried, and I did the black part next. I outlined the black on about 5 at a time, going back and flooding before too long, so the outlines had a little time to set, but not too much. I made sure that the outline was up against the white, so that the flooding didn't leak under. Once I finished all of the black, I went back to the first ones and did the accent colors.

To dry them, I left them on cookie sheets on 4 racks in my oven, with the light on. This seemed to set them quickly enough that they didn't have any bleeding problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%