Wilton Course 1 Questions

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 2:54am by TexasSugar

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 10

So I'm very new to cakes but have been decorating cookies for a few years. I decided to take the Wilton courses. It looks like the first course covers the very basics. Is it worthwhile to take? I'm not good at buttercream roses which is really the only reason I'm taking it. Any feedback would be great!

9 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #2 of 10

I also only took Wilton 1 because of the buttercream roses, but I'm glad I took the whole course. It gives you some good fundamentals, and a chance to ask a professional lots of questions that seem to arise when you're in the middle of a cake, or new technique. It's a great place to start!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:48am
post #3 of 10

i am so glad i took them all. i love all the flowers from each course. i love knowing about royal icing and color flow. i love knowing how to cover cakes with fondant etc. that was 12 years ago, and i am still learning from outside classes and from here.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 10

I'm working my way through the Wilton courses now, and like you, have some experience decorating and such.

In all honesty - it was fun, I learned some new stuff, and it was worth it for what I paid for it.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 10

I think you should definitely take course one. It does show you the basic steps and I think you will glad once the class is finished. I took all of the classes and I still refer back to some of the books when I need to. thumbs_up.gif
Faye

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 10

I certainly agree with the others. It will be worth your time and $$. I'll bet you learn more than just bc roses when it's all said and done. I took it in Oct. 2006 and I am glad I did. Ever since then, I have been so busy with cakes and other things that I haven't had time to take courses 2 & 3. I would love to take them and learn all about the more advanced flowers and such. It's fun to be around other cake people in class too. Besides all that...it gave mommy a break from dh and kids for a couple hrs!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

I've had many people ask me if they have to take C1 because they have done cakes before. I always suggest that they do, for two reasons. 1. Because I give out tips and tricks in the class and they usually learn something they don't know. 2. Because we do build on things learned in C1 in C2. If someone doesn't know how to do the rose (C1) they will have trouble doing the Victorian rose (C2). If they don't know how to do the shell border (C1) you may have trouble with the reverse shell (C2).

After they take C1 99% of the time they tell me they are glad they did and that they learned this and could now do that better.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm looking forward to it now!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #9 of 10

I've been doing cakes for a bit now, too. Mostly fondant, but I decided to take the C1 so that I can learn those basics that I don't know (bc roses, etc). I'm looking forward to it!

icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #10 of 10

Woo Hoo! It is always great when someone is excited about taking the classes. I hope ya'll have a great time in them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%