Organizing Wilton Yearbooks

Decorating By Kavingate Updated 7 May 2008 , 5:44pm by endymion

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 8

Help! A while back, there was a thread about how to organize Wilton yearbooks, whether by tearing them up into types or cakes, or labeling each one with tabs, etc. Can anyone point me to the thread or just help me with suggestions for organization? Thanks!!!!
Kate

7 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

I actually kept an index card file. I had it divided into categories such as 3-D animals, cars, juvenile b-day....kinda how the cake galleries are categorized here on CC. Then on those cards I wrote the cake magazine or Wilton yearbook, the month and the page number of the cake pic I liked. I also did a brief summary of what it was:

MBN (Mailbox News) Feb. '89
pg. 23 lower left
3-D cat w/ ball of yarn

So when I needed an idea for a cake, I just looked thru my files, then I knew which books to get out.

As soon as my magazines would arrive I would scurry to my bakery and hide away while i devoured the magazine with a brief "look thru" icon_twisted.gif ....then I'd go thru it again more slowly, writing down all the pics that I wanted to include in my idea file.

Hey- it was "old school"...but it worked for me.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #3 of 8

You are a genius!!!! Thank you!!! I didn't really want to rip all my mags to shreds! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #4 of 8

I am with you on not ripping them up. Plus since there are so many different ideas on each page it would be hard to organize them with 6 to 8 different idea on each page (front and back).

I have all the yearbooks and basicly store them in a file box. I have yet to organize them, nor any of my other stuff, but I do hope to one day.

I think the file card idea is a good one to try. To get you started I'd mark the cakes you thought you would do, or that you may have a need for. Once you have those done you can go back and redo all of them.

If you have certain cake pans, you may want to mark ideas using those.
And just give the pan name, short description, yearbook and page number. icon_smile.gif

Sometimes I find I just have to start somewhere and as you get into it you may figure out a way that works better for your needs.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 8

Hey Kate~I was the one that posted a while back on how to organize all of my Wilton books. I "inherited" alot from an older lady who was retiring from decorating and I'm still overwhelmed by them all.

I got alot of great ideas from everyone and I'm still trying to figure all of it out. I went to look up my post for you and it must have gotten lost when the site crashed, it's no longer there. icon_sad.gif

Most of the ideas I got were similar to that of cakedout. I was sent a wonderful email by someone that actually bought an idea off of ebay and I love it! I've yet to fill all of my own info into it.

If you would like me to send it to you, I'll check with her and see if she minds me sending it on to you. You can PM me your email and I'll get it to you if oked by her.

Good Luck! It's an undertaking but well worth it. thumbs_up.gif

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, I have been following this thread, because I also have the same problem. If you cut a picture recipe out.... what about the back of it, so I thoght maybe printing out certain pics online.. or to save in the computer. But what do you do about the magazine. I think I may like the tab idea. argggggg it is very frustrating.
Terri, if you ask the person who sent that to you... would you mind also sending it to me.
Thanks Mary

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 8

It is a reference file in MS word format, and Terri did ask for and get my blessings to share this. Anyone interested in getting it can PM me with your personal email and I will gladly send it to you.. warning, it is over 30 pages of cross referenceing to themes in the Wilton yearbooks.. icon_biggrin.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

I was going to suggest you just type up all the cakes in one LOOOOOOONG MS Word file. Each time you get a new magazine, just type the issue and date at the top, and then list underneath, the cakes -- with lots of "keywords" that you think you might search on later -- and page numbers.

Then when you want an idea, just search your document for that key word.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%