Beware: Hydrangeas-Poisonous Plants And Flowers

Decorating By addietx Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm by CelebrationsbyLori

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 8

Why do I see so many wedding cakes decorated with hydrangeas if they are poisonous?
My future DIL wanted them on her cake. At first I said sure it would be alright knowing I had even seen a Martha Stewart cake with hydrangeas. I did a search to be sure and they are every list of poisonous non-edible plants.

7 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

Perhaps they're on posy picks and not actually toucing the cake? or maybe they're gumpaste. I love hydrangeas - didn't know they were toxic!

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 8

Sensitive people may get a reaction from touching them. It is NOT a good idea to have the hydrangeas on any part of the cake. Below is from two different websites. What a shame, they are such a beautiful flower. I guess I will have to learn to make them from gumpaste.

⢠Hydrangea -- This flowering plant contains cyanide. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, depression, diarrhea, increase in heartrate, and increase in body temperature.
Hydrangea Poisonous parts Leaves and buds Toxins Hydragin
Poisoning from eating the flower buds has occurred. Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pains, diarrhea, labored breathing, lethargy and coma. Sensitive individuals may develop contact dermatitis from handling the plants.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 8

I could almost bet.. that they are gumpaste or fake hydrangeas that you are seeing.. there already is a list somewhere on here about poisnous plants..

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #5 of 8

Here's the CC article:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

Actually, since most florist-grade flowers have been treated with pesticides, or have contact with other flowers that have, it is almost never a good idea to have any flower actually touch the cake. Exceptions of course can be made if you grow your own organic, "safe" flowers (and don't have neighbors who are heavily into lawn chemicals). Crystalized violets and the like are of course delightful. icon_smile.gif

I always use separator plates, small plastic dishes, or pics, as beachcakes mentioned. But, I'd agree -- some of the cakes I've seen do seem to have the flowers right on the cake, and I wonder if they are mock-ups, or they use very thin sheets of acrylic or something. And of course, when the cake is cut, the same care has to be used (like not plopping the flowers right down on someone's plate! -- which I've seen.... icon_confused.gif )

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 8

It's ALWAYS a good idea to keep some sort of barrier between the cake and the flowers, then you really don't have to worry. Hopefully, no one will EAT the fresh flowers! Never heard of that happening....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

The two most likely causes of contamination would be from the stem (sap leaking into cake or onto plates) or pollen drifting onto the cake. Some folks decorate a cake by pushing stems directly into the cake -- the sap is wicked right up into the cake! Also, after handling the flowers, of course, hands must be washed before cutting and serving the cake. Flowers are also sprayed with pesticides -- so, again, petals can transfer some quite potent chemicals.

I think most all of us cake makers and florists are aware of this -- I've only seen carelessness when well-meaning volunteers at weddings or other events are not familiar with gardening or safe food handling practices. It never hurts to be as careful as possible. icon_rolleyes.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 8

Also they are very sensitive as far as how long they can stay out without water. Silks are really a better way to go all around for safety and best look. Not to mention, most florists will not guarantee colors in hydrangeas because they vary so much throughout the year, so silks also make sure you get the color you want!
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%