Ffa Emblem Gone Wrong...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 22 May 2008 , 7:21pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 11

I'm beginning to think maybe just maybe I'm not meant to tell this story, this is the third time I have tired to write it out. The first two times AOL got pissy and closed on me, losing what I had written.

I had one of those weekends where I had to do a cake that I was beginning to wonder if it was meant to be or not. I had to do the FFA emblem on a cake for my SIL's FFA Banquet. In theory the cake should be an easy one because it is just the emblem on a cupcake cake with a border. In reality it is a time consuming cake because the emblem takes me forever to do. (I've done it twice before already!)

I settle in Friday afternoon after baking all the cupcakes with the FFA Emblem taped to a piece of card board with a piece of wax paper over it. Two and a half hours later, four colors of icing, seven dirty decorating tips and a mess around me I finished outlining, detailing and filling in the FBCT. I put it in the freezer to harden up.

While I waited for it to harden I cut the foam core board I was putting it on and covered it. I arranged the cupcakes and then mixed up some navy icing to ice them. I made just barely enough, but iced the cupcakes and had it ready for the emblem and a border.

I pull the emblem out of the freezer and flip it over to check for piping lines. As soon as I flip it over I realize that I made a BIG mistake. I had forgotten to reverse the image before starting, which means the whole thing was backwards. In some images it doesn't matter, but when you have one with words/letters, like this one, backwards does not cut it at all!

So I'm looking at a mistake that had cost me 2.5 hours and something I would have to spend time redoing. I had hoped to have the cake finished Friday evening since I had to get ready for a demo late Saturday afternoon and didn't want to have to get up super early in the morning. Because of my screw up I still had another 3 hours I would have to spend on the cake.

I needed a break so me and my nephew, who was staying with me, decided to go out to eat. We had a nice dinner and discussed ideas for his birthday cake coming up next month. At the moment his ideas are a Wii, a repeat of a sand castle cake, a standing cow, or a copy of my dog, Riley. He has big ideas huh?

At 10:30 Friday night I settled in with the new reversed image and spend another 2 hours redoing the FBCT. I got it in the freezer and decided because it was late, I would leave it in over night and get some sleep.

Saturday morning comes, and I pull it out of the freezer, flip it out on the cake, add a border, date and some dots and call the cake done! I cleaned up the counter so I could take a picture and as I am holding the camera over the cupcakes, I end up dropping it. My cry of frustration brought my nephew into the kitchen with his suggestions on how I could fix it, like he had done the night before. I finally get him out of the kitchen so I can say a few choice words while cleaning the icing off my camera and out of the area around the lens. Because the lens ended up on top of the background icing leaving a nice hole in it, I had to remix some more navy icing to match (which isn't the easiest thing to do) and hope that when it sets up it does not dry too much darker. I doctored up the FBCT where the other part of the camera hit. I did the best I could with out going over board and making a bigger mess. After it was fixed up I snapped the pictures, boxed it up, and couldn't wait to get it out of the house, so off it went next door to my brother. I told him it was in his hands now.

I really wanted at this point to just crawl back in bed and not look or think about icing again until the weekend was over. Instead I had to finish preparing for the demo. I made a hand out of dates and copies, more icing, and packed up my stuff for the demo. The demo went okay, but I didn't have a lot of people interested in what I was doing or ask questions about the classes. I did have several groups of kids that were left to watch me while their mother's shopped. I hate being a free babysitter while doing a demo.

After the demo I had a little break before my class, yet another time I had to play with icing for the day. Class went well though and I have two fun ladies in there that had me laughing all class. So while my weekend started off really bad, it ended good.

When class was over I met up with my friend, Julie, and off to the bar we went. We both needed the time out as we both had bad mornings. We had much needed fun.

We shall see if I get asked to do this emblem for a 4th time next year. I'm thinking maybe not since my brother told my SIL how much I hate doing it. icon_smile.gif I do have another idea of a way to do it if I do have to do it again, so we shall see.
LL
LL

10 replies
beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 11

Aww, Texas! You poor thing!! The FBCTs look fabulous! (even the backwards one!) What a lot of detail!

justducky Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 11

What great detail. I am sooo glad you took the time to re-do it. It rocks. You should be quite proud.

waywordz Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:27am
post #4 of 11

If that is the view of your cake after you repaired it, you did a great job and you might want to practice your other idea, because your cakes look won't be a deciding factor in their decision! (But, maybe what you told your brother.) Looks like you pevailed over what could have been a disaster. Good for you!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you! I was just ready to get done with the cake. Over all I'm happy with the cake, it was just one of those I didn't want to do. When she asked for the cake months ago I didn't know they were going to ask for that image again. Usually she just tells me what it is for and I go from there. I have a year to see what they ask for, so we shall see. icon_smile.gif

They all loved it though, which is what counts.

projectqueen Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 11

Totally awesome cake and great repair job!

Maybe you could consider an edible image of the emblem for the next time they ask? It would save you TONS of work.

Pat yourself on the back for a nice save!

chassidyg Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 11

Beautiful cake, I couldnt even tell where you dropped the camera at! As for your nephew and his ideas, I get that from my 10yr old brother and 8 yr old daughter all the time! Gotta love it.

TexasSugar Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 11

I do have an printer for the images, but I haven't used it in so long I am pretty sure the inks are dried up and I have no idea where the paper is. Plus where is the challenge in that? HaHaHa! Actually if they ask me to do it again that will be my second option. My first is to make something out of fondant. I'll have to play around with my idea sometime to see if it will work.

I'm just glad that cake is over for this year!

Thanks for all the comments!

lilacc01 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 11

WOW! Gorgeous! So detailed! I was so involved in FFA in jr high and high school, that is awesome!

diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 11

awww... icon_redface.gif i'm so sorry this happened to you.
i had the very same thing happen to me.
i worked all day on a bct and while trying to take the picture, my camera falls into the cake. icon_eek.gif
i feel your pain. icon_cry.gif
i'm glad everything went okay for you. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 11

Lilacc01, thank you! I totally wish the emblem was less detailed. It is by far the hardest one I have ever done and it hasn't gotten any easier after doing it several times.

Diane, that's the first time I have ever done that and I do hope it is the last. I am still cleaning icing out of my camera lense. I didn't think to get a picture of the hole in the icing from the camera. I was just worried about getting the icing off the camera and fixing it so I could get it out of the house before I did anything else to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%