I Need Help With A Mmf Question...

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 5:34am by MegWinn

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 8

I was trying to do a figure using my mmf,it does not hold its shape. I was at wal mart and a lady saw me looking at the wilton fondant and told me all i need to do is add Gumtex to my homemade mmf.
Can you tell me how much to add? and How long will it stay soft in a sealed bag before hardening?

7 replies
Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 8

bump

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

I haven't tried home made MMF yet. I always have to add some type of gum powder to my fondant or it just sags!!! I knead in a little at a time until it's stiffer, not not to dry. I'm sure on of the more experienced CC'rs will give you good advice.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 8

I add gum tex to my mmf and it still takes forever to get hard. Although I have heard the more you add the better so maybe I just have to add more. According to wilton you are supposed to use 1 tsp per pound I believe. I have heard people talking about using tylose but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet. HTH!

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 8

I add gum tex to my mmf and it still takes forever to get hard. Although I have heard the more you add the better so maybe I just have to add more. According to wilton you are supposed to use 1 tsp per pound I believe. I have heard people talking about using tylose but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet. HTH!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8

You can also buy Wilton gumpaste to make figures. It is actually really nice to work with. It dries quickly and super hard too.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:31am
post #7 of 8

It also depends on how big the figure you are trying to mold is. And of course, the humidity.

I too, like the Wilton gumpaste. My friend thinks I'm nuts, but I like it to do figures, and with a coupon, it's good and cheap at AC Moore or Michaels. For flowers and such, I'd rather make my own though.

Good Luck!

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #8 of 8

I have made figurines successfully with MMF and the "secret" is something I picked up here on the CC site. If you take a piece of tin foil and lightly ball it up you will create a lighter and less dense center for the character. Just mold the MMF around the balled up tin foil and you avoid the sagging that can otherwise occur, the heaviness and the long dry times. I then use a toothpick or skewer to hold the whole thing together. My figurines have always held their shape no problem. I have also used small styrofoam balls that I picked up at the dollar store for a lightweight center, but tin foil is just as easy to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%