Bubbles On Cake

Decorating By sugarhill Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm by Katie-Bug

sugarhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhill Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 11

I have delivered cakes and while setting out an air pocket develops between the cake and frosting. I know how to correct the problem by poking a small hole and letting the air escape, but does anybody know what causes this? How can I prevent this from occurring?

10 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 11

You can easily prevent this by just making a few descret pin holes in the icing, then if any air needs to escape, it will go out there. I place them in spots where they can't be seen easily, like near the bottom border or behind flowers... If I were doing like a 14" layer, I would probably place 5 or 6 holes.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for that tip icon_smile.gif

Great advice!!!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #4 of 11

This has never happeden to me, nut thanks for the info. in case it ever does I will know what to do !

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 11

wow, I never though of making pin holes in my cake to prevent a blow out. Thanks for that tip. icon_smile.gif A blow out can occur from a number of conditions. Many times I get them from being impatiant and not letting my cake come to room temp before covering with fondant. The cake needs to be room temp so the condensation that occurs on the cake has time to evaporate, otherwise it is trapped under the fondant and will want to escape a few hours later. It is sometimes caused by too much filling between the layer or the fondant not attached thouroghly to the buttercream causing a dry spot where air can pool.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 11

Everything happens to me it seems LOL

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #7 of 11

THANKS FOR INFO. WGOAT5 THAT LADY LOOKS LIKE HER BUBBLE HAS BEEN BURST..LOL,LOL,LOL..TO FUNNY...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:24am
post #8 of 11

icon_lol.gif Hey dont laugh at Christi..Shes been sucking on that lemon all day !She cant help the pucker! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

sugarhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhill Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #9 of 11

thank you ladies.... I thought I had requested replies to be forwarded to my e-mail,but I guess not since I hadn't received any replies. Starting to wonder if I was the only one experiencing this problem til I visited the forum.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 11

sugarhill - You won't get email notifications on posts that you post, only the ones that you comment on that others post. Go figure, must be something with the way they have the system set up.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 11

I too have a problem with this sometimes. I don't ever really do fondant covered cakes, mine happens with my really frostings on it.

I did a small three teir pink cake, I set it up right before the party started. I didn't do any supports since they were going to start cutting as soon as I stacked it, well that cake had about a billion bubbles!!!

Some say that bubbles are caused by not letting the cake sit long enough, but I had this cake sitting in the fridge all night, and then stacked it the next day. I think not having enough support has something to do with it. It was like the weight was so much, it just starting popping up these bubbles everywhere.

I don't know, I may be way off. This is just what that cake made me think it was.

Sugarshacks DVD says to prevent bubbles, you should place a cake in a bag sealed really good all night to pull the air out of it. I haven't had a chance to try this. I also prefer to frost my first time on the frozen cake, so not sure how it would work for me...

Good Luck an let us know if you find something else that works! I'm with you, I usually just poke a hole an let it escape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%