3" Pans & Duncan Hines

Decorating By kerik Updated 7 May 2008 , 4:35pm by jbnhayes

kerik Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 12

I use duncan hines mixes & I've found I really like the 3" pans. Does anyone have some modified directions for baking these without them being overdone on the edges & mushy in the middle - while maintaining their moisture? I only bake for family & friends, but surely this fantastic group of folks has got some guidance!

Thanks in advance!

11 replies
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 12

I don't have 3" pans, but I generally bake at 325 for a little longer than box directions. Wilton makes Bake Easy (not sure of the name) strips that would help insulate the pan so it bakes more evenly. Any pan 10" or larger I use an inverted flower nail to help distribute heat.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 12

What beach cakes said icon_smile.gif ... I love my 3 " pans.. especially when the customer wants a taller cake icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:43am
post #4 of 12

Link to Wilton's cake preparation and servings charts:
(Gives batter requirements by pan size, as well as recommended baking temps. and times.)

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

HTH

feliciangel Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:22am
post #5 of 12

I've used a wet towel cut into strips and it worked really great, instead of the easy bake strips. make sure the towel is wet but not dripping wet. I've also used the flower nail and that works really good too.

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 12

I personally do not like the 3" pans because it took so long to bake, I had some and ended up selling them on Ebay. I do primarily wedding cakes anyway and prefer to use the 2" pans.

I do agree with the other advice given, definitely use bake even strips and some type of heating core. I personally use flower nails in my cakes, others prefer using the heating core. I have had cake stick in the core before, no matter how much I prepared that thing...so nails just work better for me.

kerik Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all your tips. I've used the core before & I too, have had it stick. So how do you position the flower nails in the cake to serve the same purpose?

vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerik

Thanks for all your tips. I've used the core before & I too, have had it stick. So how do you position the flower nails in the cake to serve the same purpose?

Pour the batter into the pan.

Prepare the flower nail as you do the pain (grease with pan grease or use shortening/flour).

Stick it right into the batter with the large end of the flower nail against the bottom of the pan (basically upside down).

When you go to turn the cake onto the cooling grid (if it has some feet), the flower nail stays in place, just take a fork and put it underneath the flower nail and pull straight up.

Some people put the flower nail in before, but when I use multiple nails it tends to move them around more, so I just do it afterwards, I have never had a problem.

CakeRN Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 12

I use the flower nails also but I also use parchment paper and stick the nail under the paper . It won't gouge the cake when you go to take it out.

beachcakes Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

I use the flower nails also but I also use parchment paper and stick the nail under the paper . It won't gouge the cake when you go to take it out.

me too! icon_smile.gif

kerik Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 12

thanks so much for your tips! I'll try the flower nail trick. Luckily my DH's grandmother will be here to help me - she's made cakes for more than 50 yrs & I've been the one that has taken it over since she can't really do it anymore (she's 85). It will be my first attempt at scollwork, so it should be interesting! I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

jbnhayes Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 12

I didn't ask the question, but I sure appreciate all your helpful answers.

I had been wondering about using the Wilton core for my 10' and larger pans but was skeptical about how well they would work. Thanks for the info. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess I will just stay with my flower nails. Like the idea of putting them on the outside of the parchment paper.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%