Scroll Work Design Question

Decorating By kerik Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm by Misdawn

kerik Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever tried to use stamps (like scrapbooking stamps) to do scroll work? I'm doing my nursing school graduation cake & don't want the usual mortar board, diploma, etc - my cake plates are white with black scroll work & given I don't do cakes very often, & have not done scroll work before, I was looking for ideas & suggestions. If stamps haven't worked, what other suggestions do you have?

The plates are these (only in black) http://www.platesandnapkins.com/Store_ViewProdDetail.asp?ProdID=9914&Cat=474

Thanks in advance!!

6 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 7

I would suggest using the Wilton press set to do scroll work. Just press lightly into the icing to leave an imprint and then pipe over it.

kerik Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 7

I've got those, but I think they might be a little too traditional or old fashioned. maybe I'll get out my daughter's playdough & try & put some designs together.

Starkie Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 7

Kerik, I would give the stamps a try! Find non-rubber ones if you can (such as the clear acrylic ones) to lightly press into the cake, and then pipe over that.

Good luck, and be sure to post what you've done!

<Starkie>

Tallmama Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 7

The stamps will work also there are impression mats that you can buy that can give you a repeat pattern

mommycakediva Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 7

That's to funny, just the other day I was in Micheals down the stamp aisle wondering if I should use stampers for embossing on fondant or not! Didn't find anything I liked that day but I will for sure try this now that I know I am not the only person crazy enough to think of this!lol

Misdawn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

You can also find a pattern online, print it out, use a straight pin to pick holes along the design and then lay your "template" onto the icing (just slightly if using BC, fondant is more forgiving) and use the same pin to prick through the same holes into the icing. Then just pipe over the design. It's a lot of work, but if you have a specific design and nothing else will do, this method works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%