Need A Decor For Grooms Cake???/ Long Sorry Need Help Bad

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 30

icon_surprised.gif Hi i have a grooms cake this Saturday and i know what my cakes are shaped like a sq and a rd but im stumpped on what to do for the top.
My bottom cake is a square and the top is a rd both are to be basket weaved, im thinking of doing a intial and putting it on the rd and the bride wants the monogram to be light pink and im doing tuxedo strawberries for the top im thinking of placing a Martini glass on top and placing the strawberries around the glass, and im thinking of making a bow tie and putting it on the glass stem, what would you put inside the glass? i dont want it to be heavy I will put dowel rods to help support it i was thinking either more strawberries that are just dipped in white and dark choc also what would you use to build this cake up i want it to be off the table i thought about using the square pan the 18 in and the 16 in and covering them with fabric and laying strawberries and grapes?? and ferns what do you all think??? i really want it to look good may get more bookings
Thanks to all

29 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 30

Any Body????? Have only 5 days

cakesbycombs Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 30

i'd put more strawberries in the glass

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 30

As for what to put in the glass, I was thinking of the strawberries - either the tux ones or if you really want them around the glass then maybe some plain ones. Good luck.

Sorry I don't have time to give you other suggestions - right now I've got to get dinner started. Unfortunately the kids have to eat! Rats! icon_lol.gif

BCJean Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 30

I would put a martini in the glass and garnish with a mint leaf.

holliewest Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 30

I would put strawberries in the glass! HTH

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I would put a martini in the glass and garnish with a mint leaf.




Thats a cool ideal, only thing i have no ideal what goes into any mixed drinks i guess i had better start learning if im to do any more cakes HUh
What would look like a Martini the color i mean?? Could just fake it.

BCJean Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 30

You could use clear piping jel.

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

You could use clear piping jel.




Dang another good ideal, i will just have to make up my mind now
Thanks

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 30

Sanding sugar aroung the rim always adds a nice touch! Especially the colored ones! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sanding sugar aroung the rim always adds a nice touch! Especially the colored ones! thumbs_up.gif




Does Michaels carry this?? have limited places to get any cake supplies/
Thanks

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 30

I believe so. It's used a lot with sugar cookies. icon_smile.gif

busymom9431 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 30

What about two strawberries in the glass, one with a tuxedo and one with a bride's dress. I hope you know what I am talking about.

Ah-na Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #14 of 30

This might not go with your style but if you put the clear piping gel in there then you could get a little groom figure and put him in there too (like he's drowning) and having the bride fish him out....might be a little tacky b/c your cake sounds pretty fancy, but i dunno. icon_confused.gif

CelebrationCakery Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 30

I did a cake once for my daughter with a rainbow of sugar on it...if you do not find the colored sugar you want just put some granulated sugar in a mixer or even ziploc with a little of the color you want and mix the bag around until you get what you want. Only do it a little at a time though.

I would use a paper plate and spread your sugar out then "paint" a little piping gel to the rim of the glass and dip it into the colored sugar....

tonimarie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 30

I really like the idea of making it look like a mixed drink of some sort. If there are strawberries around it I think you should do something besides them in the glass. I have no idea how you would do this because it's way out of my league icon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #17 of 30

Martini's don't have anything on the rim, margaritas do. Martini's have olives inside, which you could make with some green fondant and a small reddish orange "pimento". (I used to bartend so I would notice, but many people probably wouldn't if you wanted to use sugar icon_smile.gif )

Amia Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:09am
post #18 of 30

Since the bride wants the monogram in pink, could you do a cosmo instead of a martini? Use pink piping gel and add a strawberry for garnish. Ties in the pink and the strawberries. If you stick with a martini, I would do fondant olives on a toothpick like foxymomma said.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Martini's don't have anything on the rim, margaritas do. Martini's have olives inside, which you could make with some green fondant and a small reddish orange "pimento". (I used to bartend so I would notice, but many people probably wouldn't if you wanted to use sugar icon_smile.gif )




Okay, so I'm going to be 39 this year and for some reason I still can't get that straight in my head! I hear one and immediately think of the other! Oh well, it would probably be worse if I drank them often.

all4cake Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:59am
post #20 of 30

Only curious...what's the significance of the martini glass?

If you add a random pink(colored to match monogram) dipped strawberry it would help tie it in as well.

The idea a PP had about the bride and groom strawberries was nice for inside the glass.
Maybe even with the monogram sticking out of the top.


http://www.simplydeliciousfruit.ca/IMG_8924.JPG

http://cache.gifts.com/photos/K/P/V/B/KPVB9FTMUCMGYK69563A_M.jpg

http://www.berries.com/jump.jsp?itemID=303&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C37&iProductID=303

Another possibility for set-up is to use 5 more matching glasses either right side up or upside down (more stability may be attained by the upside down though) and rest your tiered cake on them.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:




Since my post i have been playing with all diff things, this is what i have right now the glass will support the 8in round cake with a bow tye on the stem
top cake will have the tux strawberries on it and tux strawberries around the bottom of the glass, then just plain choc dipped strawberries in lwhite and chocolate will lay on the bottom layer, basket weaved, now here is my fear i know i need to have a support on the square cake for the glass to sit on what should i use ??? and what can i use to support the cake on the glass although i think it will be heavy enough to be stable, i thought about using royal icing to attach the round cake to the glass??? will it be stable enough??? havent really worked with RI before oh yeah if i use the pink Monogram im going to do the shirts on the tux pink as well?? Does this sound ok will it look like a grooms cake??? Need you opionion Now before Saturday Thanks

all4cake Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #23 of 30

I believe normal doweling would support the glass with tier atop but I would recommend placing the glass on a cake circle before resting it on the dowels...possibly ice the circle to match or coordinate.

I don't think it would be stable enough to cut while it rests on the martini glass though.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I believe normal doweling would support the glass with tier atop but I would recommend placing the glass on a cake circle before resting it on the dowels...possibly ice the circle to match or coordinate.

I don't think it would be stable enough to cut while it rests on the martini glass though.




Yes i will i have even thought about using a cake separater but im still thinking on that one , do you think that the cake sitting on top of the glass needs to be anchored?? With something??

all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #25 of 30

If it is just going to be sitting up there until it's time to cut, then be removed for the cutting and serving, anchoring it may make it difficult to disassemble for the cutting.

If you plan on using a separator, maybe consider adhering the martini glass to it. Dowel bottom tier, place separator(if using the sps, there would be no need to dowel), mark for glass placement, adhere glass with royal icing(or clear glass/plastic adhesive), transport to site then rest the top tier centered on the glass.

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:37am
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

If it is just going to be sitting up there until it's time to cut, then be removed for the cutting and serving, anchoring it may make it difficult to disassemble for the cutting.

If you plan on using a separator, maybe consider adhering the martini glass to it. Dowel bottom tier, place separator(if using the sps, there would be no need to dowel), mark for glass placement, adhere glass with royal icing(or clear glass/plastic adhesive), transport to site then rest the top tier centered on the glass.




Yes it will just be sitting on top of the glass until they cut it, I had thought about the royal icing deal, what is clear glass plastic adhesive is this hard to remove afterwards? How long can you keep Royal Icing ? and do you think that a Monogram made out of Candy melts from Wilton would be sturdy enough to put on the side of the cake i have never done candy melts until last night so easy to work with but if they start to melt then i dont know about it?? Be my luck they will slide right down the cakeicon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #27 of 30

If you're concerned about them possibly melting, make them with royal icing.

There's different levels of adhesive. Found at the craft store, hardware stores, and discount dept. stores. Tell the associate what you plan on doing and they will help you find just the right type. They range from temporary to "it ain't budgin'"

royal icing made with meringue powder can be kept and used for a couple of weeks. There's different views on how it should be stored...some say refrigerated some say it's not necessary. I prefer to use it up as soon as possible making anything so I don't have to take a chance on it. I have left it on the counter for up to 2 days, covered with plastic and a damp towel and rebeat it when I went to use it with no ill effects.

I'm all about the "if in doubt, throw it out!" philosophy.

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

If you're concerned about them possibly melting, make them with royal icing.

There's different levels of adhesive. Found at the craft store, hardware stores, and discount dept. stores. Tell the associate what you plan on doing and they will help you find just the right type. They range from temporary to "it ain't budgin'"

royal icing made with meringue powder can be kept and used for a couple of weeks. There's different views on how it should be stored...some say refrigerated some say it's not necessary. I prefer to use it up as soon as possible making anything so I don't have to take a chance on it. I have left it on the counter for up to 2 days, covered with plastic and a damp towel and rebeat it when I went to use it with no ill effects.



I'm all about the "if in doubt, throw it out!" philosophy.




Thank you you have been so helpful, i guess i will make a batch of royal icing tonight havent made any since my class i guess i will get out the old Wilton book

all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #29 of 30

Good luck!

Share a picture of the finished cake if you can!!!

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Good luck!

Share a picture of the finished cake if you can!!!




I will if i can get the time to down load them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%