Help With Fondant On Chocolate Cake

Decorating By Suzie-A-Qs Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm by MacsMom

Suzie-A-Qs Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6

i have made a chocolate cake that was very moist, covered the board and the cake with fondant, and because the cake was so moist i didnt use anything to stick the fondant to the cake.

next day i pool of sticky, watery iceing looking liquid had aqumulated around the base of the cake so i cleaned itoff and it did exactly the same the next day.

does anyone know of any reason as to why this has happened if so how can i stop it happening again

5 replies
lynndy-lou Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 6

Hello,
What cake recipe did you use?
Lynne

beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

Was the cake too warm when you covered it?

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 6

It was probably the fondant liquifying where the moist cake was touching it. I always put a layer of buttercream on a cake before I put on the fondant no matter how moist the cake is. Not only to avoid bumpy looking fondant, but so that people who don't like fondant can still have an icing on the cake when they take the fondant off. I don't care for eating fondant so I always make sure that there is something for those people who can't stand chewing their icing.

lynndy-lou Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 6

Ihave to say your rag doll cake is brilliant.
Lynne

MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

Jkalman is right on the money. Fondant dissolves in water and the moistness from cake... well, you get the picture.

This happened to me, too, when I did a practice cake - the fondant slid right off in a gooey heap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%