Square Wedding Cake Pans

Decorating By samona Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm by SILVERCAT

samona Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 24

I have a wedding cake order and I need a 6, 8, 10, and 12 square cake pans? Which brand should I buy? Wilton Decorator Preferred or Wilton Performance brand set. I want straight corners, will this be a problem.

23 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 24

Magic Line. No contest.

leily Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 24

I am with indydebi on this one. Magic line are the only pans I will get for square, rectangle and round. If they made other shapes I would get those too but they don't

busymom9431 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 24

I too agree! Magic Line. I have only a couple of these pans but will be replacing ALL of my wilton pans with Magic Line. The straight lines are great but the way they bake is wonderful too!

Narie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 24

Ditto - Magic Line

eriksmom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 24

I like Magic Line, too, but the corners are a bear to clean! I bought a Fat Daddio's square 10" pan, and I love it! I have a few Wilton pans, but I'm not real impressed. I've been phasing them out as I have the money.

FYI, ladies! For those of you who are going, I spoke with one of the organizers of the ICES convention in Orlando this summer - Fat Daddio's is going to be there in the vendor's room! I like their pans because they are really sturdy, and easy to clean. I'm definitely buying more.

kcat3740 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 24

Magic line gets my vote to. Since I started decorating with a Wilton class I used those Michaels coupons and got all Wilton pans in a ton of sizes - which I am now ditching and replacing with Magic Line - much better pans! I also bought one Fat Daddio's to try it out, had one Magic LIne that size (10 inch) and one Fat Daddio's - mixed up a cake and baked one in each pan at the same time. The Magic Line came out really nice - just that nice golden color - the Fat Daddio's was to dark. So thumbs_up.gif from now on - Magi Line it is! icon_lol.gif

capitts Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #8 of 24

I like to use these removable bottom square cake pans. I line the bottoms and the sides with parchment for easy clean up. The only drawback is the biggest size is 12", not 16".

http://www.lloydpans.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=Square_Loose_Bottom_Pans

this company also sells v-shaped (heat v) inserts to help larger cakes cook more evenly (like a different shaped heating core). These can be used on cakes up to 2":

http://www.lloydpans.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=Heat_V

yellobutterfly Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #9 of 24

Haven't tried Magic Line yet - I can't really justify a purchase because I have Michael's store credit and Wilton gift certificates, you can't beat free, ya know? At first I purchased alot of wilton performance pans, (some shapes/sizes you have to because they don't make them all in the decorator preferred line). However, when you have a choice, I'd definitely choose the Decorator Preferred line over Performance Pans. The Decorator Preferred are thicker and seem to cook more evenly, although the corners are still a pain to clean! The performance pans are certainly better quality baking pans than some of the junk you find at wal-mart, but when compared to the Decorator Preferred, the PP dent much easier, and the great thing about the DP is Lifetime warranty!

Jenn123 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 24

In my opinion, the pan doesn't really matter that much. I have all types and shapes. I bake several wedding cakes every week and I actually prefer Wilton because they are easier to clean and will fit inside each other for easier storage. Looking at a sink full of 30 square pans will make me shudder. I hate cleaning those sharp corners! Does anyone have a "magic" cleaning method for your "magic" line pans?

slope Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 24

I use the sprayer on my sink and the tip cleaner from Wilton to clean the corners of my square pans. It works pretty good.

tracycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 24

I've got a square wedding cake in December also so I ordered Magic Line in 8, 10, 12, and 14 and I can't wait to try them! They came in right before Thanksgiving. I'm going to make a practice cake this weekend (hopefully) since I've never used them before just to see how they bake.

leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 24

I'm a Magic Line fan also. I have one FD pan. There won't be another one.

Petit-four Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 24

Here's a photo comparison...

Hope it helps. thumbs_up.gif
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 24

Great visual. I have dreaded making square cakes because no matter what, with the Wilton....rounded corners. Nuh-uh. Not good. Gonna purchase some MagicLines now!

Narie Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 24

For those who don't recognize the difference in the two pans shapes, the one on the right is Magic Line. I am not familiar with the one on the left. I use a toothpick to clean the corners; also, do not put Magic Line in the dishwasher. If you do, they come out funky looking and the discoloration is permanent.

Petit-four Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 24

Glad to be of help. icon_smile.gif

Narie -- I've decided not to post the names of the manufacturers after a very bad experience on CC. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for understanding.

As for me, I'm happy with the ML pans. Plus, made in USA. usaribbon.gif

q2wheels Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Great visual. I have dreaded making square cakes because no matter what, with the Wilton....rounded corners. Nuh-uh. Not good. Gonna purchase some MagicLines now!

I have all Wilton Decorator Preferred square pans and not once have I ever had rounded corners. In fact, with my squares as well as my sheet pans, I have perfectly square, crisp corners.

I am a hobbyist and try to save money where I can. I am in the minority here on CC, as I have had very few, if any, of the issues or problems with Wilton products experienced by man CC'ers. I really can't say anything bad about them.

HTH,

Toni Ann

tracycakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 24

I did buy one Wilton Decorator Preferred and it worked pretty well too. I didn't have any complaints with it. My only complaints are when pans don't have straight sides as my 9" round pans were. I've since replaced them.

MargaretG Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 24

Magic Line-I clean it with a small paintbrush to get into the corners.

mbt4955 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:36pm
post #21 of 24

Mine are all Wilton, but I would love to upgrade to Magic Line as I can afford them. What is the best place to get them?

lifonahil Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:08am
post #22 of 24

I love magic line.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

I have all Wilton Decorator Preferred square pans and not once have I ever had rounded corners. In fact, with my squares as well as my sheet pans, I have perfectly square, crisp corners.

I am a hobbyist and try to save money where I can. I am in the minority here on CC, as I have had very few, if any, of the issues or problems with Wilton products experienced by man CC'ers. I really can't say anything bad about them.

HTH,

Toni Ann

Maybe I don't have the Decorator Preferred. I'll check the label or whatever when I get home. Thanks for the help!

SILVERCAT Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

For those who don't recognize the difference in the two pans shapes, the one on the right is Magic Line. I am not familiar with the one on the left. I use a toothpick to clean the corners; also, do not put Magic Line in the dishwasher. If you do, they come out funky looking and the discoloration is permanent.

I have put mine on the top shelf of the dishwasher but on the normal wash cycle. I also don't use the heat dry cycle, I am cheap and cut that expense out. I only use it when I have a butt load of dishes, such as the holidays!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%