Need Help On How Many To Feed 300

Decorating By holliewest Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 3:11am by FromScratch

holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried to do the math...just can't get it right. I need to do a wedding cake to feed 300. The bride wants a stacked round tier. She is okay with there being 2 or 4 round tiers set on the sides of the cake. I just can't figure out what would be the best set up for this! I had the idea that an 18, 14, 10, 6 and maybe 2 10" on the side. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated. Thanks.

7 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

Are your pan's 2 or 3in?
With that said, if you go with Wiltons sizes and if you dont want to fool with a 18 in cake i would do a 14/12/10/8 then 3 10in for a total of 310
if your pans are 3in you would have a little more
If you go by Earlenes cake sizes you would have to do either a larger bottom like you were going to you would have to do 3 10in extras Is the bride saving the top? Take that into conserderation too Earlene's sizes give you more cake Hope this helps

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 8

Per the wilton wedding cake chart which is what I go by, a 6/8/10/12/14/16 will serve 308. I made one this size for a bridal show .... here's a pic. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195241

How tall do they want to go?

I'm biased and think a wedding cake should TOWER over the reception! I've envious you get to do one this big!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 8

Oooooh!! I would LOVE to do a big tall cake like that!! Sooooooo pretty and impressive. But if you don't want to fool with a giant cake do a smaller cake and kitchen cakes out back.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

wilton chart here has lots of different ways to set up too about 300 but you can always change the size of the cake to be 300 serving.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/choosing/all.cfm

i hope that helps..

shaddi

holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for the ideas!!!! I really appreciate all the imput. This is my first BIG order and I am nervous.

A few of you suggested doing just the 2 inch (6/8/10/12...) difference in the pans than doing say the 4 inch (6/10/14)...how do you think that would look? She has requested a ribbon around the center of each layer and fake rose petals floating on the cake.

I am still new to what looks good and doesn't.

AGAIN, THANK YOU!!!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 8

For me? i think it would look flat if you do it 2" instead of the 4". but that's just me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 8

The 2" difference doesn't look flat. I have a lot of cakes in my photos that are 2" difference if you want to see what it'd look like. You will get more servings from your tiers. I do like the 4" difference.. but the 2" difference isn't going to look like a big pyramid or anything. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%