Temporary Cookie Cutters

Baking By umabdurrahman Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm by GeminiRJ

umabdurrahman Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 8

can anyone tell me the best way to make a cookie cutter to test out a design before i go through the trouble of finding that metal strip thing and making one? i want to make a few batches with the temporary cutter. i have seen some people making them out of heavy duty foil pans or would it be enough to just cut the dough with a sharp knife and use a template? any advice is very welcome icon_smile.gif

7 replies
DianeLM Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

Definitely do the template and sharp knife. I use this technique whenever I don't want/need to invest in a custom cutter. I like to laminate my template so it doesn't soak up too much butter from the dough. A little clear packing tape or clear contact paper usually does the trick. Beware - The laminate does make it a little slippery.

sicookie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:37am
post #3 of 8

I've made a template out of a shirt box. Just drew the design on the box and cut it out then placed the cardboard on the rolled out dough and traced around with a paring knife. Not fun do if you have a lot of cookies to make. If you check out my photos, the pigeon cookie is what I made with this template.

umabdurrahman Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 8

thanks so much icon_smile.gif would i need to use an exacto knife or any regular sharp knife?

sicookie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 8

I just used a paring knife

DianeLM Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 8

Any straight pointed knife will work. Make sure your dough is good and chilled!

Honeydukes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #7 of 8

Someone said they used the metal strip from a wax paper container. I guess you could shape that and see if it works. BE CAREFUL -- it's very sharp!! I've used a paring knife and it worked fine. I wouldn't want to cut out hundreds that way!! icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, I used short, gentle cuts rather than pulling the knife through. When I did that it pulled the dough out of shape. Gently pat the edges to smooth them out. On your template, make a "handle" out of tape (upside-down "T") so you have something to hold while you're cutting.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 8

Template, all the way! Other people have used inexpensive cutters that they could re-shape into what they needed. If you think that would work, it would be a lot quicker and easier to do the cookies than a template.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%