Practice Dummy Cakes

Decorating By kdaze Updated 4 May 2008 , 9:40pm by craftyone65

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone please give me some tips? I am trying to practice a cake on a dummy. I've never used one before. Anyhow my fondant seems so lumpy. I thought it would be easier to work on styrafoam but it doesn't have that smoothness you see in a book. I've redone it 3 times and keep getting the same result. icon_cry.gif Do I need to do something different?

TIA

6 replies
dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 7

Did you put a layer of BC on the dummy first? If not, the fondant may be lumpy due to the uneven dummy surface . . . icon_sad.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 7

I just covered a dummy w/ fondant for the first time last week! I have since discovered that you should sand the dummies so they are smooth. There are ridges in them from the manufacturing process. I covered mine in a coating of shortening but found I still had lumps. You can see them in the sheep cake I did last week if you look closely. icon_sad.gif

kdaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 7

I didn't use anything. Other posts I read said people just used a little water.????

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 7

You can just use a spray bottle and spritz the dummy w/water. Not sure what to attribute your lumps to... The dummy has to be smooth all around, any imperfections will show through...

kdaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 7

Ok, well thanks I guess I will try again. Maybe I'll roll my fondant a little thicker and see if that helps.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 7

I just got my first set of round dummy cakes and I was wondering....are you supposed to cover them in plastic wrap or just ice right on the dummy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%