I Just Can't Let My Figures Go!

Decorating By Price Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm by audrey0522

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 13

Today I disassembled my cake from the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show! It was sculpted cake, so there was no way for me to save it. Boy did it hurt!! icon_cry.gif After all the hours, blood, sweat and tears I just couldn't bring myself to throw those poor little people in the trash!! Sooo, for a little while they will be residing on a shelf in my kitchen! I think next year I'll do something that I can do on a dummy. Anyone else who did a sculpted cake have the same experience or am I just obsessive? LOL

12 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 13

oh no!! I loved that shoe!! I don't blame you for not wanting to throw them out! They'll keep for a long time! My cousin still has his Redskins man nearly 2 years later - not growing yet! icon_smile.gif

Could you sculpt a styrofoam shoe and place it on there, then you could keep it?

I had to leave my sheep behind at MACS - funny how attached you get!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 13

Price I LOVED your shoe!!!!

Beachcakes I love your avatar cake.. one of my FAV cakes icon_biggrin.gif

I have my buggies (which hold NO candle to either one of your figures) sitting on the window in my kitchen... icon_biggrin.gif ..

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 13

Christi - you are no slouch in the modelling department! icon_smile.gif Those bugs are adorable! If only bugs were really so cute! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 13

I still have my scarecrow cake that I did for a contest! I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It is a dummy...so I can keep it for awhile!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 13

I must be wierd then.. I have no problem getting rid of stuff. All of the dummies I have done have been disassembled the day after I did them. I do still have the little Emily from my DD's castle birthday cake.. but she wanted to keep it so I couldn't toss it. I am going to mount it on a small styro disk for her.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 13

Yes Jeanne you are weird but we are talking about something else now LOL J/k!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 13

HA!! Well then you must know me a little TOO well now Christi.. icon_wink.gif

You know what they say about birds of a feather right??? icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 13

LMAO.. hey how'd ya guess?? LOL

(I have such a good time on here... what a release..) Ohh wait here comes the interns.. gotta go before they strap me back in icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 13

Nah.. struggle a little.. then they give you the GOOD stuff.. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 13

OMG! You gals are too funny!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 13

Wgoat5 - I love your bugs! How adorable!

Beachcakes - What a shame to have to leave your cake behind. I loved that cake and I know how much work must have gone into that. If I had known you had to leave it behind, I would have brought it home with me! I would have adopted those cute little sheep! lol

Just an FYI - I had a support system in my cake that I wanted to save so I had to cut the cake before throwing it out. Believe it or not, after sitting for about 2 weeks the cake was still edible! Not that I would have given it to anyone after that length of time! icon_eek.gif But just out of curiosity, my husband and I took just a little taste and it tasted ok. A little dry, but ok! I was amazed. I expected it to be moldy!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 13

How long will fondant figures last? I added tylose before I made it. Do I need to spray it with anything to preserve it? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%