Help W/ Gp Peonies

Decorating By maryg083 Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm by drea71

maryg083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryg083 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 36

I have been searching high and low for instructions on gumpaste peonies and have only come up with instructions for paper peonies, which may be helpful if not for the patterns(I will be ordering cutters & Vieners soon). Does anyone know of anything online that shows how to make these? I need to make them for a July wedding and am trying to get in some practice before hand! I'm a beginner w/ gp flowers- I have only made cherry blossom branches previously, so any help with this would be much appreciated thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!

35 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:23am
post #2 of 36

Nicholas Lodge has an excellent video for the peony. he also has the cutters for the petals.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #3 of 36

one of my all time fav. gp flower !!! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #4 of 36

Hi!

I teach this flower in my classes and can give you lots of info on it!

Just e-mail me if you wish, [email protected] My cutters are modified from Nic's version.

Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 36

Ohh thats beautiful Jennifer.. *sigh* if only I could do that!!!

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 36

wgoat5 -

Gumpaste flowers are NOT as difficult as people think! I have had MANY many students in my classes that have NEVER touched gumpaste before and they have wonderful results! My advice is: take a QUALITY gumpaste flower class. When I say quality, I mean look at the flowers, do they look REAL???? Most people, if they take a good class, can take right off with this art. Not everyone though...some do much better with hands on classes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 36

I agree with Jen. I have never taken a class and I don't do too shabby with the gumpaste flowers. You just have to have fun.. and don't get discouraged if your first ones don't come out perfect.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 36

Jen - do you think that you could e-mail me the instructions as well? My e-mail address is [email protected]

Your work is beautiful.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 36

Jenn - I also see that you are offering classes in Orlando in July. Where exactly would you b offering the classes. I might consider taking some vacation time around those dates and travel to Orlando to attend your classes.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 36

I e-mailed you moralna!

Jen icon_smile.gif

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 36

cakesbydesign.cc has the instructions you can download right on his website for the peony and many others. He also sells the cutters and veiners for his peony. They're very easy.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 36

Jen- Could I also get the instructions? Peonies are one of my favorite flowers. Thank you so much. 

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 36

Jen -

I would love to know how you finish the other side of your peony topper? Are there two peonies back to back?

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 36

I e-mailed you jaime....

Amie - I just add the peony foliage to the back. That is just one flower sitting on a 6" layer. They are so nice and big, you really only need one to make a statement!

Jen icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #15 of 36

Hey Jen..As a note..I am still going to your class.. I am in Oklahoma at a friends computer. Going back home today.. I think I might have to buy a new one!
icon_sad.gif
I start classes this monday again I will tell my students. Hope you are great!
Edna

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #16 of 36

Thanks Edna! I have you down on my class list icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif
PS - Have a nice vacation!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 36

God I needed it...icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #18 of 36

LOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 36

Scott Wooley's dvd's are terribly expensive in my opinion! I didn't see anything but movie previews on his site. I need to start with the little package of cutters I have now and work my way up. I'm a dunce about gp right now. Never touched the stuff yet. But man, I sure love that peony!!!

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 36

CarolAnn -

You just need to take a GOOD class, get those basics under you belt. You will take off with it!

Jen icon_smile.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #21 of 36

Ok Ladies,

I am here to tell you, that if you can get into a gumpaste class with Jennifer... JUMP ON IT NOW!!! She Rocks! icon_biggrin.gif I had never done any gumpaste work until the Louisiana class and the experience making the poinsettia, and peony was exceptional! thumbs_up.gif

I have not had much time to practice lately, but I tackled my first roses with a easy heart. It would have been nerve racking a few months back, but because I had a solid base to work from it went very well. If I can ever swing attending another class with Jennifer, you can believe that I will be there with my "tool box" in hand, and a huge grin on my face! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Pat

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #22 of 36

Do you have a list of locations you will be having your classes Jennifer?? I'd love to take one (especially the one in Italy you were talking about icon_wink.gif ).

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #23 of 36

You're a DOLL Pat! Thank you for that glowing recommendation!!!!!

Pat took the recent class that Sharon (sugarshack) and I did recently in LA... we had a total BLAST!!!!

Sharon and I are working on doing this same class in Feb. in Evansville, IND. Date to be determined.

Jen icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #24 of 36

Hi Jeanne!

I do have a current class schedule, but not sure if I can post it here (I don't want to break any rules) If someone tells me I can, I will. Otherwise, you can e-mail me, and just ask for my current teaching schedule icon_smile.gif

[email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

Daytona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daytona Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 36

Hi Jennifer I would also love to learn to make peonies I saw your cake photos and they are beautiful do you have a dvd on how to make gumpaste flowers I would love to take one of your classes but I have two Boxer puppies which is quite a handful and make traveling impossible .
Daytona icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #26 of 36

Hi Daytona!

The first two DVD's that I have coming out very soon are on my choc. fondant and fondant techniques. If these go over well, my next one planned is on my rose, stephanotis and ivy.

That's as far in the future as I dare look for now icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

maryg083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryg083 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #27 of 36

Thank you everyone for your reccomendations! thumbs_up.gif
Jennifer- I e-mailed you- And thanks so much for your willingness to share!

I like to play with gumpaste so I'm starting to "get it", but the assembly of the petals and leaves are a little tricky, and like you said, I want them to look as real as possible!

I have read that people steam their gp flowers to give them a shiny effect. Would I steam them like I would veggies or something or do I have to do something special to make it work?

JenniferMI Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #28 of 36

You're welcome Mary!

I steam your foliage or flowers, simply put a pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Holding the flower about 10" above the water, hold it there for about 10 seconds. This will set the powders and also blend them. You also can use a clothes steamer. You just don't want to "cook" it....if the paste gets REALLY shiney, you've cooked it a bit to long icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

Jen icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #29 of 36

Jumping up and down...

With much excitement here.. I can't wait till you come to Evansville Jennifer!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #30 of 36

Jennifer, I would love to have a copy of your peonies instructions.

LaWanda

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%