Need Encouragement Boost!!

Business By Tellis12 Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm by Swede-cakes

Tellis12 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 8

I've been wanting to start selling my cakes for a while now and there is a new bakery/coffee shop that just opened. Apparently they don't have anyone doing cakes there and my best friend wants me to go in and offer my services. What I need is the guts to do it! I'm terrified of rejection but I don't want that to hold me back. So if anyone is willing, a thumbs up would be great!! Also, please give me some honest feedback about my cakes/cookies. I know they're not quite as great as my friends and family think.

Thanks so so much!! Tiffany

7 replies
jadak Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 8

I think your cakes and cookies are very well done and exceed anything I see in local grocery stores. You might be just who the bakery needs to decorate their cakes and cookies. I think it would be worth a shot to go and talk to the owner...see what their needs are...show them your portfolio. If it's a no go, try not to take it as a personal rejection. Someone who just opened a shop might have a "master plan" and already have a decorator in place (or in mind) to start working on that aspect of the business once other areas are up and running. JMHO. Truly, your work is good. You have talent and skill and it should definitely be appreciated! Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. Where in Cinci. are you? I'm in the Milford area. icon_smile.gif

shelbycompany Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 8

Are you seriously asking that question??

Your work is great thumbs_up.gif

Just get a little confidence and give it a shot. If I owned a bakery/coffee shop, I'd hire you. Remember, if you don't get it something better will come along. That's what happened to me. I applied for a cake decorator and had a really off decorating day. I got all upset and almost gave up cake decorating. I applied again to another bakery that is much better anyway and got my dream job!! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck and let me know how it went.

Also, send a thank you note when you're done there. even if you don't get the job. Everyone I know that has done that got the job!!

MegWinn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 8

Don't think of it as them "doing you a favor" by selling your cakes/cookies. Go in with the confidence that you have a talent that THEY lack and you are presenting to THEM an opportunity that is mutually beneficial. If you worry too much about how you are going to "feel" about rejection that will only drag you down...other people will never scrutinize an experience the same way you or I do emotionally. They will see your offer as being or not being good for business. They WON'T however see it as an emotional risk for you...so try to take their answer in the spirit that it is intended! Good luck and GO FOR IT! I know I would if I was in your position.

Tellis12 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, thank you thank you! This was exactly what I've been needing to hear. The advice and encouragement are so nice. I think everyone just needs a boost every now and then.

Jadak, I live in Sycamore twp. but I am currently sitting at church in my husbands office, in Milford!

indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegWinn

Don't think of it as them "doing you a favor" by selling your cakes/cookies. Go in with the confidence that you have a talent that THEY lack and you are presenting to THEM an opportunity that is mutually beneficial.

Amen, sista!!!! thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 8

Cake decorators don't know how special they are....you got the skills....they would be glad to get ya.

Swede-cakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 8

Ooooh! I so feel where you're coming from, Tellis12!

There was a local bakery where we'd sometimes buy our cakes from, and one day I went in to pick up a cake I'd ordered for my husband's birthday. The owner had a handwritten sign taped to the front counter "cake decorator wanted". I'm a sahm with my hands full, but I felt such a strong desire to do something cool for myself and inquire about offering my skills. I DIDN'T DO IT. The desire was completely demolished by the demon butterflies in my gut! lol! I walked out, drove to a friend's house for a playdate with our kids, and decided to go back to the bakery 2 hours later. I talked to her that time, and was so glad I did. She hired me when I showed up to try it out the following week.

Tiffany, your pics show nice stuff. You should walk in to that shop with the confidence that you'll be a great addition to what they offer! Best wishes!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%