Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 12:50am by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:28am
post #1 of 4

I made my first sheet cake this week as well as my first cake with an edible image. I was happy with the cake in the beginning but when I delivered it I noticed that it was starting to sink toward the middle. I had it on a cake board so I don't think it was the support. What may have caused this and how can I make it stop?!?!?! Thanks!

3 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 4

A couple of possibilities came to mind. Are you sure the cake was completely cool when you iced it? If it wasn't cool enough it might have been to soft and the weight of the icing could have made it sink. Also, are you sure it was baked completely? That could certainly cause it to sink if it's undercooked. Also, was there a filling? If it was a wet filling it could have softened the cake as it soaked the cake.

If it's none of these reasons...I'm at a loss - maybe someone else will have an idea. Good Luck!

btw - are you a scratch baker or do you use a mix?

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #3 of 4

Thank you Tammi! I used a dr'd mix this time b/c I LOVE the choc. recipe that I have, it turns out tasting great EVERY time! I didn't ice it until the day after I made it so I'm sure it was cool and I didn't have any doubts about it being done in the center, but I could have been wrong. There was no filling so I guess it must have been not completely done! I don't know why it didn't sink until hours later though! Ugh, oh well! Do you think it could have had anything to do with the image? That is where it seemed to sink!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

Well, I've never had that problem with an Edible Image being placed on a cake but I guess I can't really say for sure. Since it was an extended recipe - do you think you may have added too much liquid? I don't know if it would even matter the day after you've baked it but there must be a reason so I'm just trying to think about everything. I know that when I make my Fresh Raspberry Cake that it rises like it going to have a crown but then when it's cooling it levels itself off. I've always thought it was from the liquid in the berries so that's what makes me think of the liquid. I wish I could be more help.

I guess my next question would be - have you used that recipe & icing together before with good results? btw - what did you ice it with?

Quote by @%username% on %date%