Spoiled Kids-Vent!!!!!

Lounge By Luby Updated 2 May 2008 , 7:42pm by 7yyrt

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #1 of 33

I don't understand why a parent lets a child walk all over them!!!!!

Tonight was my monthly Pokeno gathering (it's all family members mostly sisters and some related by marriage). One young girl (my brother's wife's neice) brings her child who is not quite two years old. This child is spoiled rotten - there's no other way to describe her. If she doesn't get her way she screams and cries (not a tear falls from her eyes) until either her mother or grandmother pick her up and baby her.

Tonight she kept opening the door to the patio and just stood there with the door open. For 2 hours I listened to her mother, her grandmother and her aunt tell her to close the door. Not one adult made the child stop. In the meantime bugs are flying in and it's causing the A/C to run needlessly. The conversation went like this:

Mother: Caroline, close the door.

Grandmother: Caroline, you have to close the door.

Aunt: Caroline, you can't stand there with the door open.

Mother: Now Caroline, please close the door.

This went on for over 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, it wasn't my house, but it was annoying to listen to this dribble and this child pitch a fit whenever she wouldn't get her way.

I was sitting at the other table and made a comment about the child not listening to anyone. Right after that her grandmother told her in a very stern voice to close the door and of course she started her fake crying and the mother picked her up and started babying her again.

Why are parents so blind when it comes to their own kids??????????????????

32 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:13am
post #2 of 33

You know that they will pay dearly for this. imagine her as a teenager. They will really suffer, later.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #3 of 33

I completely understand! I have a couple of children that come over to our house for gatherings and they get in to everything! I had to put child safety locks on all of my cabinets and my fridge because they constantly open and close them. It's pretty bad when I don't even need child locks for my own kids and my youngest is 2. I know I probably shouldn't have, but I've had to go and tell their children on several occasions to stop getting into things. Their parents just looked at me like "OMG! How dare you!" Well keep your freaking rotten kids out of my stuff!!! icon_mad.gif

Now my children are taught not to do stuff like that and if they happend to do it I would definately nip it in the bud. I understand small children will act out especially when they hit the terrible 2's, but they have to be taught right from wrong. They also have to be taught to respect other people's homes and belongings. It's really unfortunate that some parents don't realize that it's not ok for their little angels (monsters) to act that way.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:27am
post #4 of 33

I have absolutely NO problem fussing at other's kidlets. I figure, if they have no interest in raising the kid right someone has to help out.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 33

i use to not fuss at other ppls kids (respect for the parents) now im like look this is my home do as i say or you can go(not in those words of course). I have a 3 yr old and 1.5 yr old who act better than a certain neice of mine. Teach then right and wrong from the beginning and it wont be so hard to correct them later, im a firm believer in swatting that tushi if they need it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I have absolutely NO problem fussing at other's kidlets. I figure, if they have no interest in raising the kid right someone has to help out.

Me, Too!!! icon_twisted.gif

Vanna, if the parents have no respect for how their children act in my home, then those parents deserve no respect from me. If they won't make their child mind, then *I* WILL!! icon_twisted.gif

My children are grown, but my kids tell me their friends liked coming to our house because ".... your mom isn't fake." They knew they were welcome to the soda in my 'frig, but they ALSO knew I better not see empty cans sitting around or they'd hear about it! "I'm not your mother and you're big enough to clean up your own mess!"

My daughter has small children and they are very close with their neighbors with children. My daughter is the mom who takes no bullsh*t and all the kids know they follow Christine's rules when in her house. Even the kids' moms will get their kids to behave by threatening them with Christine! hahaha! Yet if given the choice, the kids prefer coming to Christine's house to play.

My youngest sister sounds like the parents described by the OP. Be careful what you teach your children because they will learn it. She taught her son to apologize.... to say "I'm sorry". He learned that if he said "I'm sorry" then everything was ok. He was visiting an aunt, took a glass of water, and AS HE'S POURING IT ON THE FLOOR, looked up at the aunt with a smile on his face saying "I'm sorry! I'm Sorry!" icon_mad.gif

People who do not discipline their children end up with those children that none of us want to be around!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

People who do not discipline their children end up with those children that none of us want to be around!

Let also not forget these "children" grow up to be adults that no one wants to be around! This is one of the causes of "what is wrong" with people these days!

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:07am
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

Let also not forget these "children" grow up to be adults that no one wants to be around! This is one of the causes of "what is wrong" with people these days!

Those are the ones where you want to ask them, "Where's yo' mama, so I can slap her down for raising such a moron!" icon_twisted.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #9 of 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

Those are the ones where you want to ask them, "Where's yo' mama, so I can slap her down for raising such a moron!" icon_twisted.gif

AMEN SISTA!! icon_lol.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 33

OMG!! You must be in my neighborhood lately. I hate when you have a friend who doesn't correct their kids and makes it hard to get together because their kids are horrible. I have the kids around all the time who apologize for everything and turn around and do it again. They are not 2. They are 10!!! When mom is around they put on the charm and she thinks that one is a saint and the other is the sinner. If she only could look through open eyes. The saint is a bully to the sinner. I'd sin too if someone bossed me around and picked on me constantly. I was so proud of my kid when after 4 months he finally told him to stop being bossy and this is his house.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 33

Don't even get me started on bratty kids. I just took eleven boys on a camping trip for my son's birthday. I am just getting to the point that I don't like other people's kids, lol.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 33

I know how you feel about bratty kids, there are some days when you want to slap the parents.

My husband's extended family is pretty close but there are two children in it I'd rather not be around.

The first is the same age as my oldest and he's mean to the younger kids and just doesn't listen. I can have 3 extra boys over and they'll be less trouble than this one child if he comes over. Our school is large but if you mention this kid to the teachers who don't have him they know who he is. Getting in fist fights between classes in first grade does that to a kid.

The second is three now and my (at the time almost) 5 year old came to me and begged me not to invite him for his birthday party. His big issue is that his mother doesn't want anyone to tell him no about anything, her basic theory is that if he's messing with something and it isn't glass he should be allowed to play with it. She has never told him not to throw things in the house and I've seen her encourage throwing balls so it's no surprise that he also likes to throw little cars at antique glass-fronted cabinets (at my MIL's). One of the other cousins watches him during the day and they've got him to behave some but the minute his parents show up he's back to doing what he wants.

I can put up with the first child for limited times. The second child is never invited to my house. I refuse to have to make changes to my entire house just to have a kid over for a couple hours, his parents won't make him stay in one room and my kids are older so they have toys with small parts.

My children are no angels but they aren't nearly as bad as some kids.

VannaD Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 33

you guys are great! i have a friend who i barely answer the phone for b/c i know shell want to bring her monster, i mean daughter, over. The kid has no raising at all, its not her fault shes terrible, eats soley with her fingers, (at 3) doesnt use the potty, and destroys everthing she comes in contact with, its her moms. Mom is terribly lazy, shes convinced that one day her daughter will wake up and say im potty trained now, it doesnt take hard work or someone teaching her she supposed to use the potty, it will just happen...yeah right! Oh by the way mom just had a new baby so duaghter is acting out even more now for attention. Im nowhere near perfect and at 21 im not a perfect parent but my 3.5 yr old respects other people and their homes.

now as other people say, ill step down now! icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna1487

..shes convinced that one day her daughter will wake up and say im potty trained now,

Knew a lady who is a teacher for first grade. First day of school, a kid walks up to her with a paper bag and a note from mom. Inside was a disposable diaper and a note that said, "I hope you understand". School called mom to come and get the kid with direction that the kid could not be enrolled until he was potty trained.

oh brother!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 33

On mothers day last year my former bratty niece said I hate you and wish you were dead to her mom on mothers day because she was told to wait 5 minutes. Her mother did nothing. I told her nicely not to talk that way especially to her parents.
I was then told by my 11 year old niece that "You and Jon hate me!"
I replied-- First of all you call him Uncle Jon. You must show some respect. We do not hate you but hate the way you behave most of the time. You need to learn respect and start treating people with it. If your mother won't, I will. I may be your aunt but I will make you mind, do you understand me.
Ericka--Yes, but...
Me- No but's, the conversation is done here. Now start minding or I'll punish you.
Ericka-What are you going to do? (as she laughs)
Me-Can you say clean up the kitchen, write a 1 page report on behavior and doing 25 push-ups with a 1/4 mile run?
Ericka--You won't dare.
--This is where my daughter who is 6 shakes her head and tells her to be quite because I mean business and that I always follow through with my punishments.-- Her mom is saying I'm too harsh as my brother (her dad) says Melissa can and will take care of it, don't interupt.

My niece loves coming over now to my house and only has to have gentle reminders every now and then about behavior. Her dad, her grandpa (my dad) and I are the only ones she listens to and yet, we are the only ones who discipline her. My niece almost always asks to come over to my house and often says to other family members that "I wish aunt Melissa was my mom."

I'm a former Marine (or as Indy says--I'm a Marine) and I tend to be straight to the point. You may not like it, but you will mind or suffer the consequences of making my house clean and making your body strong while learning manners in the process. Hey, I have 4 kids, I only have so much time to deal with this stuff. I'm not saying that my kids are angels and that this works for every child but so far I've got a good streak going. If parents actually disciplined there children the world would be a better place!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #16 of 33

OMG!! Do not even get me started on spoiled kids! I work as a waitress in a large touristy restaurant that has menu style and family style and the things that small kids get away with make my brain hurt with the frustration of it all. Parents let their small kids pick the entire tables menu based on their likes and dislikes, order food that will never be eaten by their little darling and then with the tots get tired and bored, well, lets just let them run around the restaurant where servers are carrying 20-30 pound trays of hot food or hot coffee pots and large trays of water glasses. I've more than once told kids that they need to stay seated so that they and the server stay safe only to be given glaring looks by the parents!! icon_eek.gif Good grief!! These are the same parents that would sue the restaurant in a heartbeat if their little kiddo got hurt when a tray of food fell on them!! icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #17 of 33

Oh be honest christeena--you want to pour the hot coffee over the parents heads icon_lol.gif (oops, I fell icon_wink.gif )

christeena Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:22am
post #18 of 33

Well! The thought has crossed my mind once or twice in the 30 years I've been doing this!!

indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Oh be honest christeena--you want to pour the hot coffee over the parents heads icon_lol.gif (oops, I fell icon_wink.gif )

That's ok! I was thinking it too!

REmind me of the wedding I catered. I really "good 'ole boy" set-up. DUring the speeches right before opening the buffet, I noticed some little boys in the coolers with the canned sodas. I went over to them and said, 'GUys ..... let's not spit the ice back into the cooler because some people will be putting that in their drinks, ok?" THese were the same kids who were running around the cake table and I stopped the running when the ran up to the buffet table ..... the same table with open flames under the chafers and loaded down with hot foods ..... and used their hands to stop themselves. The "table" was a big piece of plywood laying over some skeet/bowling game in the VFW. Not very sturdy to start with!

Parents were nowhere in sight ... but I didn't walk over to check in the bar! icon_confused.gif

christeena Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #20 of 33

My girls are grown women now but they remember that their momma did not let them get out of their seats at restaurants and you know what - they cannot stand to see other kids getting away with "murder' in restaurants or any other public place of business now! What goes around - comes around!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #21 of 33
Quote:

Parents were nowhere in sight ... but I didn't walk over to check in the bar! icon_confused.gif

Well of course that's where they were, they probably drink because their kids drive them nuts.

Since we're on the subject of weddings I have a brat story from my sister's wedding. I had made my first wedding cake for this event and traveled 6 hours with it already decorated. The reception was at the church and the dance was at a different location. After the cake had been set up we had to babysit it because some guest's child was in the basement of the church trying to get as close as he could to the cake, at one point he had his hand within 6 inches of it. Mind you this guest wasn't a close friend of either the bride or groom so what he was doing letting his kid run around down there is beyond me. He was old enough to know better, he must have been at least 10, and he was also complaining to everyone he could that he was starving and trying to talk people into letting him eat before the ceremony. Then his dad asked one of my parents why I wasn't being nice to him and his son. icon_confused.gif

Later in the evening at the dance that kid was eating candy off the floor that even the preschoolers in my family wouldn't touch.

mkolmar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:51am
post #22 of 33

Then his dad asked one of my parents why I wasn't being nice to him and his son.

Right then I would have opened up my mouth and as sweetly as possible shoot out venom. icon_lol.gif

As a true southern lady once told someone who insulted her "Why (f-bomb) you very much." She said this while batting her eye lashes and as syrupy sweet as possible. They were always afraid to ask if they misunderstood her since it was impolite to ask this of a true lady. I just would roll with laughter.

I don't know who is worse a lot of times the kids or their parents--(okay it's usually the parents)

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:31am
post #23 of 33

My kids can be one of those kids! Embarrassingly enough, it's not often at all. I have them undercontrol for the most part but sometimes they "escape" me. Don't hate me! icon_cry.gif

VannaD Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #24 of 33

its taken me so long long to repost, i had to pick my mouth up off the floor after reading about deb's 1st grader who wasnt potty trained... i dont know very many bratt stories, i have been to weddings though where the 4yr old whos parents were getting married whined and cried and layed in the middle of the aisle during the ceremony, i dont think so! Oh and by the way lets all flame flayvurdfun b/c she admits her childeren sometimes ESCAPE! haha Jk icon_biggrin.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #25 of 33

I've got one. My sister's monster, I mean, son, is 3 and the BIGGEST BRAT I KNOW. Not one of our friends (and some family) likes inviting my sister to ANYTHING because of this kid. icon_mad.gif Among the list:

He's not potty trained, throws things, bullies my 8 and 9 year old (yes, BULLIES, because my kids are afraid to hit him back because of his age) and has DESTROYED my house on more than one occassion. We're talking my collectibles smashed, my surround sound speakers destoyed, my coffee table beaten to death, walls colored on, beds and linens drawn on with magic marker, my hibiscus ripped apart, as well as the usual pouring things on the floor, throwing food, screaming temper tantrums and the like. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

What makes it even worse, is that my sister always tell my 8 and 9 year old to WATCH him when we're all together!! tapedshut.gif I always tell her that my kids will NOT watch him, they are not old enough to watch him, they want to play also and not worry about HIM! And SHE needs to be the one to do it! She's his mother! tapedshut.gif

Of course she doesn't discipline him, BUT I DO! And this kid hates coming to my house, because I spank him, put him in time-out, whatever the situation calls for, and he hates being disciplined. But oh well, my house, my rules. icon_cool.gif

mkolmar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:18pm
post #26 of 33

Way to go Ajsgirl--make that baby mind.

flavyurdfun-Everyone's kid is like this sometimes. Kids are not perfect and it's impossible for them to be on their best at all times. It's just those parents who allow it to continue that miff me.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #27 of 33

Reminds me of a friends wedding I did the cake for a while back. Bride's sister had 2 MIT's (monster's-in-training).... boy who was about 4 at the time, and girl who was about 2. They are both VERY well known for their lovely icon_rolleyes.gif behavior at all family events (they go into absolute destructo mode wherever they go).

I made a nice 4-tier cake with some pretty scrolls on the side. Cake table was smaller than I would've liked.... and little 'Johnny' and 'Susie' were drawn to the cake like flies on you know what.

I knew what was going to happen so I had seated myself close to the cake. Well, they kept walking over trying to stick their fingers in the side of the thing to get a taste. The 2 year old.......can't really explain things to her... she's following her brother.... but the 4 year old... definitely old enough to comprehend right and wrong. After about the 10th time of me saying don't touch the cake, why don't you find your mommy as nicely as I could, I left to find mommy.

Well, I found mommy and told her, hey I think the kids are bored, they've been trying to stick their fingers in the cake for the last hour.... would you like me to take them outstide? Her response..... 'oh, they're just being kids.... noone will notice a little kids finger poke in the cake with all that scribbly stuff (her words for the scrollwork I did) on the side'. Found the bride a few mins after that and told her about it, and she just gave me the eye roll with the 'it doesnt surprise me that they are acting like this' comment. I told her I would try to keep them away, and she said don't bother..... the only thing that would work would be to duct tape them to the wall.

About an hour later was cake cutting time.... top three tiers.. looked lovely...bottom tier... looked like someone shot at it from all directions with a .44 magnum. It was aweful.

VannaD Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:06pm
post #28 of 33

itsmylife, whats up with that bride, i would have definately went bridezilla! I dont mind childeren and actually like having them around but it dont want their filthy fingers in my food. If i were a guest i would not hve eaten the bottom tier, and if i were the bride i wouldve been pretty peeved, and whats mom thinking, Oh theyre just kids? whatever.

Yesterday the bratt i speak of in one my post came over with her mom and dad to pick some stuff up from me. Well mom, dad and i are standing in the kitchen, my kids are taking their their nap, and "little susie" decides shes is going to LAY on my glass top coffee table icon_eek.gif . I have an open floor plan, we were standing their and could clearly see her, i decide ill give it second, so her parents have the chance to correct her, and dad turns to me and says "you dont mind her doing that, do you?" and i say "yeah, i kinda do" I get a look like im inconviencing them by expecting their bratt to act civil. Its no wonder their kid acts like that, they dont seem to mind, itsthe parents.

indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Her response..... 'oh, they're just being kids.... noone will notice a little kids finger poke in the cake with all that scribbly stuff (her words for the scrollwork I did) on the side'.

Yeah, no reason I as the mom of two of the most ADORABLE children in the world (dont' you think so? EVERYONE does!) should be concerned with how they DESTROY a $600 cake! no big deal!

And seriously, I find the common thread with mothers like this is they honestly think they have THE most adorable children in the world and the rest of us are just waiting for the opportunity to kiss their royal behinds!

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #30 of 33

I agree with all these. I am a teacher and a mother, and we ALL reap the "rewards" of spoiled children. The sad part is that spoiled children are NOT happy children, and usually they are spoiled because their parents just want them to be happy. I also think that everyone knows that no one is a perfect parent and no children are perfect. No one expects all kids to behave all the time. What we DO expect is that parents pay attention to what their children are doing and correct them when their behavior is not appropriate. My child is going to be at my school next year for kindergarten and while I adore him, and he has many good qualities, he is, at times, a major tester of the rules. I am pretty sure he does it with me more than with others (at least according to his pre-K teacher, but there are a few little attitudes that will be adjusted before he is in the classes of my colleagues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%