Sizing Help Please!!

Decorating By JulieBugg2000 Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm by indydebi

JulieBugg2000 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 5

I posted a thread earlier about how to do the flowers on this cake, but now I'm unsure of what sizes the tiers should be. The description on Brides.com says it would feed 140, but I can't really judge what sizes have been used. They're only going to have about 110-120 people, but it's for my cousin so I wanted to do the whole design as it is without having to cut out some of the layers.

So what's the best guess on what sizes they used?! TIA!

4 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 5

It doesnt' matter what size cakes are in the photo .... you only need to figure out what size cakes YOU need for 110-120 servings. I have to tell brides this all the time .... they point to a picture and ask "how much will this cake serve?" I tell them it doesn't matter ..... we can make almost any cake whatever size we need, it just depends on what size pans I use.

Wilton wedding chart shows a 14/8/6 serves 114....plus a single layer 10" cake will serve about 15-16 so total 130.

karateka Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 5

My best guess:

a 14, 10, 8 and 6, with the 14, 8, and 6 being twice as tall. But...using earlene's serving guide that would be more than 140 servings if you treat each tall cake as serving twice as many as usual. So maybe I'm off. (probably am.....)

Maybe if that differential is only 2 instead of 3 inches, it's closer to 6,8,10 and 12....it's just that to my eye (granted, it's only 8am on a Sunday morning) the ledge between the bottom 2 cakes looks bigger than the others. But again, that's not equaling 140 servings. The problem is that not all serving charts are equal! If you needed to feed 110, I'd try the 6,8,10 and 12, with double high tiers on the 6 and 8 in ones. I think that would be closest.

ANyone else???

JulieBugg2000 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys!

Indydebi, I know it really doesn't matter what sizes they actually used, but they gave me an estimate of ~120 people for the reception, but the ceremony (which they've invited about 200 people to) and reception are both at their house so I'm not sure if extra people will stick around. That's why I was wondering what they said would serve 140.

So I think the consensus is 6-8-10-14. Does that include serving the top tier or no? I have all the pans with the exception of the 14, but that's easily accessible. I do have a 16 if I needed to do 6-9-12-16 (only serving the bottom three), but I think that would be way too huge?

I'm just never sure of what size to make a cake since the serving sizes on the charts are smaller than what most people would cut (and I think the cutter in this case will be a family member so the slices will likely be even larger). Thanks again!

indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBugg2000

(and I think the cutter in this case will be a family member so the slices will likely be even larger). Thanks again!

Print out or direct them to the page on my website "how to cut a wedding cake" to help them out with how to properly cut a wedding cake.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%