Quick - Is My Shortening Bad??

Decorating By cakedaze Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm by cakedaze

cakedaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

I'm in process of making BC & just opened a new can of shortening. It looks real white & the consistency is like it has been whipped. The can I just used was the solid consistency - you really had to scoop it out. This new can just spoons out easily & will just fall off the spoon. It almost looks like thick whipped cream.

Should I use it?

6 replies
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 7

Is your new can of shortening trans-fat free?

Did you switch brands....

Bad shortening will definitely smell "off" - good shortening doesn't really have an odor.

As far as the consistency, I haven't used any new Crisco yet...just my trusty hi-ratio.

stsapph Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 7

I'm not certain, but it does sound wrong to me. I know they have changed the formula, but I still have a relatively thick constancy that is a PITA to get out of a scoop, so I would say, if you can, go pick up a new can and see if you can return that one. Does not sound good to me.

cakedaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

Both cans were an off-brand. Neither had trans fat. they both had the same expiration date & same batch number!!

I don't have any other shortening & it's too late to go to the store. So either I use it & hope for the best use a mix of the shortening & butter...

What do you think??

MissT Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 7

Could it just be warm? I know even my densest shortening will get "gloppy" when it is warm.

beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

I bought the walmart brand last year since it still had transfats - and found it was alot softer than crisco. It seems brands vary.

I'm pretty sure if it were rancid, you'd smell it! That said, I'm neurotic and probably wouldn't use it.

cakedaze Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 7

LOL - you and me both!! I took it back & am going to Kroger's to get some. It just seemed with it being so soft it would make the bc softer & not as stiff as I needed it.

It didn't smell rancid, so probably would have been ok to use for other things. I may have used it if it were just for the family, but didn't want to chance it.
Thanks for all the replies & suggestions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%