6 Days Of Classes With Ewald Notter

Sugar Work By BlakesCakes Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm by BlakesCakes

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #1 of 22

Right after the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show, Ewald Notter was doing 2, 3 day sugar classes at Albert Uster in Gaithersburg, MD. Things worked out so that I could attend both classes. I've done some sugar before at Wilton and with BKeith Ryder, but 6 full days with Notter was a real treat.

Notter is a fabulous teacher. He shares everything and manages to make you certain that you can do anything he presents.

The people at Albert Uster were so welcoming, having a reception on the first day of each class, providing gratis drinks in the lunchroom, ending each session with champagne & truffles--WOW! I'd go back there to take a class in a heartbeat.

Here are some pics.
Thanks for looking,
Rae
LL
LL
LL

21 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 22

awesome

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 22

I'm speechless! Wow is all I can say!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #4 of 22

that is fantastic that you were able to take those classes. i am finishing up my last wilton class and am looking to learn more, but can't seem to find where to go next. Anyone in Georgia know of some affordable classes to attend? Great job on the sugar art, i am jealous in a good way, definitely motivated to learn how to do that.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #5 of 22

OMG! Those sugar art pieces are Amazing. Are they isomalt or real sugar? I've been dying to take a class in pulled/blown sugar, but they're a bit expensive for me at the moment!

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 22

absolutely stunning! great job! I heard about those classes but now I am definately going to get myself in!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #7 of 22

mjballinger -

You live right in the middle of House of Clarendon country, and you haven't taken Julie's sugar class yet? Oh, my, you've got to go!

Back to the thread -

I love the people at Albert Uster. I've been dealing with them for 3 years now, and even though I do not order frequently, they always treat me like I'm their best customer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

mjballinger -

You live right in the middle of House of Clarendon country, and you haven't taken Julie's sugar class yet? Oh, my, you've got to go!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LOL. AND there's one coming up. Unfortunately, both my kids need braces and I've been off work for a while. One of these days though.... They have excellent pastries and cakes, I get them whenever I'm downtown.
~Jen

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #9 of 22

Everything except for the white rock sugar on the fish piece are made from Isomalt (can't do rock sugar with Isomalt).

Thanks for the compliments--it really was an awesome class. I learned soooo much.

The Notter School is in Orlando and they have a great variety of classes (notterschool.com).

Nicholas Lodge is in Atlanta (nicholaslodge.com)

I find the best value for the money is ICES demos and Days of Sharing (ices.org) and even the hands-on classes at convention.

Rae

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #10 of 22

They look great! The Notter's are real great instructors. They both were just here and it was great! I even called him with a question and he called me back with an answer!

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:21am
post #11 of 22

WOW! Those are great!! I hope someday I will be in a position to go take one of those classes!

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 22

BlakesCakes,

If you don't mind me asking. Did you have any prior blown sugar experience before the class? I have always wanted to take a class here at the Notter school of pastry, but felt intimidated because i have no experience with it.

Your sugar work is amazing.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:44am
post #13 of 22

I did have prior classes--beginner & advanced sugar work at Wilton in Chicago and a full day with BKeith Ryder at an ICES weekend of sharing.

There were true beginners in the Notter classes, and the first 3 days of classes were "somewhat" geared that way. I feel that had I not undertstood and had some practice beforehand, I would have floundered and been frustrated.

HTH
Rae

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 22

loves to frost,
If you are in the Atlanta area there is a bakery that offers classes not too expensive. They are in Roswell. I have their website bookmarked at work I can post it tomorrow if you are interested.
Missmikey

swish2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swish2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 22

Hello Blackcakes, Just wanted to ask were you stayed in Gaithersburg. I am thinking of taking one of the chocolate courses, in Gaithersburg, this fall. But they don't show were the classes are held so I wasn't sure were to check for a room.
Thanks
icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 22

HI.
The classes were held ad Albert Uster heaquarters. They recommend the Comfort Inn--Shady Grove. The rate that they gave students was excellent, they have a shuttle, you can walk it (if you want) as it's only 1 mile away, the room was nice & the breakfast decent. Make sure that when making the reservation, you tell them that you're taking classes at Albert Uster.

HTH
Rae

swish2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 22

Blackscakes, Thank you icon_smile.gif

swish2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 22

Sorry, I meant Blakescakes icon_redface.gif

lalakanosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalakanosho Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #19 of 22

those are beautiful, how much did the course with Notter cost you? and do they provide them often?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:17am
post #20 of 22

The full 6 days of sugar classes was $1640. It's offered several times a year back to back like that (I think the best way to take it, really). They do it at various locations, from the Notter School in Orlando (notterschool.com) to Albert Uster in MD (auiswiss.com)

Rae

tonya1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonya1727 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:36am
post #21 of 22

Hello Blakecakes,

I am interested in pulled and blown sugar art. I goggle Albert Uster, and it pull up:

"Gaithersburg chef and chocolate entrepreneur Albert Uster died in a plane crash July 25.

The sailplane crash happened in the Swiss Alps, and its cause is under investigation, according to a statement from Usterâs company, Albert Uster Imports.

The Swiss-born chef founded Albert Uster Imports, which produces Swiss chocolates and other culinary ingredients, in 1980. Before that, he served as an executive chef at the Washington Hilton and was one of the founding partners of The Watergate Restaurant.

Uster spent his time outside the office as a glider pilot, wine collector, gardener and philanthropist. He is survived by three daughters, three sons, two brothers and his close companion, Josephine Cooper.

A funeral will be held in Switzerland Aug. 8, and a memorial service will take place in D.C. Aug. 24. The location of the service has yet to be announced, but will appear on the companyâs Web site when it is finalized."

Please advise if this is the same person?

Thanks icon_cry.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, Albert Uster, Sr. was killed in a plane crash last week. He wasn't as involved in the company as he had been. His son and another gentleman who is the CEO have been handling the business for several years.

It's a close knit company and I'm sure he'll be greatly missed, but I doubt that much will change.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%