Anyone Have A Recipe??

Baking By lepaz Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm by bobwonderbuns

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone have a recipe for rolled buttercream frosting? Someone suggested trying it and it sounds good but I don't have a recipe!! Help!

10 replies
luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 11

Rolled buttercream is very good and great to use on cookies !

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for finding it for me, I couldn't find it for the life of me in the recipe search, humph! So, thank you again. I heard it was good so I am excited to try it! thumbs_up.gif

luelue1971 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 11

I love using rolled buttercream and so do my customer. Roll it out on a mat and peel the mat off after you put the "RBC on the cake. It works better if its chilled also.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 11

I've always wondered, what are the pros and cons of rolled buttercream vs. fondant. Is there really any difference between the two?

luelue1971 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 11

Basically RBC tastes so much better and is not as "chewy" as fondant. It is also not as sturdy and a bit harder to handle as it does tear much easier. On the other hand if it does tear it is pretty easy to put another piece on and smooth it with your hand.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I've always wondered, what are the pros and cons of rolled buttercream vs. fondant. Is there really any difference between the two?

In my opinion, rolled buttercream is much more difficult than rolled fondant to cover (especially large) cakes with. It is stretchier and tends to tear very easily.

It also looks different, since it contains alot of shortening, it has a glossy look whereas rolled fondant has the matte look. You can take the gloss out buy applying powdered sugar to it and rubbing it in.

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 11

I've tried using RBC before and had nothing but a terrible time. I would reconsider it for cookies, but never again will I use it to cover a cake. It tore so easily so I chilled it and everything, and once it cake to room temp it started melting and drooping off my cake. Luckily I was just experimenting with it for my brother's birthday cake, I would have been to embarrassed to have handed it to a paying customer.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:11am
post #10 of 11

Everything you ever wanted to know about RBC:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221681-.html

Above thread has info for using RBC with cookies, edible images, cakes; RBC vs. MMF on cookies, recipes not found in CC recipe section; hints, tips & techniques.

Also BlakesCakes just posted on how to cover a ball cake with RBC (which includes additional hints & tips for usage):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584741-.html

HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone and thanks Jan for those links -- I hardly recognized you without your horns! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%