Bulldogs And Honey Bees??? Ideas Please

Decorating By krystalp Updated 1 May 2008 , 7:20pm by krystalp

krystalp Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 8

I have to do a cake for a couple who are renewing their vows. They have been married for 30 years...he was a marine and she is in some sort of honey bee club. So they want the cake to have bulldogs and honey bees. I'm really struggling to pull this one together....any ideas???

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 8

1st thing I 'saw' in my mind was a bulldog laying down, from the front w/a bee on his nose.
You don't say anything about size or shape so you could sculpt him or make a FBCT or an icing sheet pic.

krystalp Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

It's going to be a three tier. It has to feed about 100. I was going to make some fondant bees and a fondant bulldog, but i found out that making a fondant bulldog is harder than I thought. Soooo... I thought maybe I could make a fondant couple sitting on a bench, with a bulldog and bees around them somehow, but then again I run into the trouble of making a bulldog... icon_cry.gif

krystalp Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 8

Anyone have any other ideas? Or maybe some hints on how to make a bulldog? I've made other fondant figures...but this bulldog is really giving me trouble....HELP!!!

tlreetz Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 8

This may sound strange but it's worked for me many times. I assume the face is the part giving you the most trouble?? Go to the toy store and find a toy bulldog (plastic). Then take a piece of gumpaste and roll it into a ball. Press the toy face into the ball of gumpaste creating a mold. Let it harden, then take fresh gumpaste and press it into the hardened gumpaste mold and you will have a bulldog face. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

gracecakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 8

Ok this might be a little much or make no sense. What if you do a three tier cake and make the last tier in the shape of the yellow bee hive mound. All covered in fondant. At the bottom of the tiered cake or at the bottom of just the bee hive tier... you can have like a hole/tunnel that the dog could have dug to get into the cake/hive. then out of the top hole of the hive you can have the dogs head sticking out (that way you only have to do the head of the dog). At the top of the cake where the dogs head comes out you can also put a honey bee on a small piece of wire (almost like its flying) the bee and the dog can be kissing. The concept being that the dog is chasing or hunting down the bee. And then he gets his prize. The bottom two tiers can maybe have other bee's or paw print decorations. I don't know its crazy, but its different.
Good luck

kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 8

wow grace, that's a great idea icon_smile.gif

krystalp Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the great ideas! Gracecakes, I LOVE your idea. That would be sooo cute. I wish I had the time to do that. I think I'm going to go a bit simpler though. I'm going to print edible images of the bulldog and the bee from the invitation and put them around the tiers. Along with some flowers.
Trleetz, that is an excelent idea for making the face...I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.
Thanks again for all the great ideas...I'll post pics when I'm done. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%