Is Whipped Chocolate Ganache Like A Chocolate Mousse?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm by melysa

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 13

Just wondering since they both use cream, thinking about using it as a folling for a chocolate guiness cake and wanted one that was light like a mousse.

12 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 13

I use whipped ganache all the time as a replacement for "real" mousse - it's just quicker and easier when you're already making a lot of components. It's really great so long as you use good quality chocolate.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 13

I'd say it's a little heavier than a mousse but still a great replacement. It would still complement your cake nicely and then you also wouldn't have to refrigerate it the way you would w/a mousse. Leftover ganache lasts about 1 day in my house, I eat it by the spoonful.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #4 of 13

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!! (you do need a good icing dam though to hold it in, i suggest using swiss or italian meringue buttercream for stability) ...

i use equal parts cream to chocolate. chill, and whip.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 13

I made choc cupcakes with whipped ganache icing for our family dinner on Palm Sunday. I just made a batch of ganache, let it cool and whipped it fluffy. It piped beautifully. I use semi sweet choc chips for mine most of the time.

I use 8 oz heavy cream heated just to a low boil then poured over 12 oz of semi sweet choc chips or chopped chocolate squares. I prefer choc chips because they're sweeter. Let it sit 5 min or so to melt the choc then stir gently with a spoon so as not to get too much air in the mixture. To whip it I stick it in the frig for 30 min or so, till cooled but not cold, and then whip till fluffy. When I fill with ganache I tort and only use a thin layer between the layers of cake, no damn needed. I find the thin layers of ganache filling are much more flavorful than using more. Doesn't overpower the choc of my cakes.

***Left over ganache is perfect for making smores!!!! Much better than Hershey choc bars.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:47am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!!

OK you have told me this 1,000 times and yet I STILL keep forgetting!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif I seriously have to make this soon!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:56am
post #7 of 13

Awesome! Can't wait to try it!!

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!!

OK you have told me this 1,000 times and yet I STILL keep forgetting!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif I seriously have to make this soon!!

yes , do !!! i've done it with milk chocolate, semi sweet, bittersweet and hersheys special dark. my favorite is the milk chocolate as far as taste is concerned. i love how the darker chocolates make such a thick ganache that can be spread or piped... yum. they are are all delicious! one i've yet to try...white chocolate!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 13

I use a slightly different method, more from the Cake Bible.

My chocolate-to-cream ratio is going to depend on how heavy I want the whipped ganache to be. The more cream, the lighter the ganache.

I melt the chocolate in the microwave with about 1/4 of the cream, stir well, let cool for a few minutes. I then whip the rest of the cream as I normally would for making whipped cream. When it hits about medium peak, I add the melted ganache. Great stuff icon_smile.gif

That's also the method I use to make a stablized whipped cream as well - I use a small amount of white chocolate to a larger amount of cream.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 13

or, WBH has a hazelnut mousse which is heavy cream and nutella and it is very light and fluffy. and yummy!

ashley

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 13

Melysa, check out the difference in using white choc for ganache, because when I tried just subbing white choc it was an icky mess and a waste. Don't want you to waste your ingred like I did. I haven't tried it again yet.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 13

So, does that mean white choc will be harder to make into ganache?

I have milk choc to make into ganache soon (which I have done before) and also I have to make a white ganache, which I haven't tried yet.

I just assumed it would whisk the same as the milk choc!

Anyone else had experience of white choc ganache?

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 13

i've always read that the ratio for white chocolate is 3:1 ...less cream , more white "chocolate" .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%