Is Whipped Chocolate Ganache Like A Chocolate Mousse?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm by melysa

sugarMomma Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 13

Just wondering since they both use cream, thinking about using it as a folling for a chocolate guiness cake and wanted one that was light like a mousse.

12 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 13

I use whipped ganache all the time as a replacement for "real" mousse - it's just quicker and easier when you're already making a lot of components. It's really great so long as you use good quality chocolate.

ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 13

I'd say it's a little heavier than a mousse but still a great replacement. It would still complement your cake nicely and then you also wouldn't have to refrigerate it the way you would w/a mousse. Leftover ganache lasts about 1 day in my house, I eat it by the spoonful.

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #4 of 13

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!! (you do need a good icing dam though to hold it in, i suggest using swiss or italian meringue buttercream for stability) ...

i use equal parts cream to chocolate. chill, and whip.

CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 13

I made choc cupcakes with whipped ganache icing for our family dinner on Palm Sunday. I just made a batch of ganache, let it cool and whipped it fluffy. It piped beautifully. I use semi sweet choc chips for mine most of the time.

I use 8 oz heavy cream heated just to a low boil then poured over 12 oz of semi sweet choc chips or chopped chocolate squares. I prefer choc chips because they're sweeter. Let it sit 5 min or so to melt the choc then stir gently with a spoon so as not to get too much air in the mixture. To whip it I stick it in the frig for 30 min or so, till cooled but not cold, and then whip till fluffy. When I fill with ganache I tort and only use a thin layer between the layers of cake, no damn needed. I find the thin layers of ganache filling are much more flavorful than using more. Doesn't overpower the choc of my cakes.

***Left over ganache is perfect for making smores!!!! Much better than Hershey choc bars.

ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:47am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!!

OK you have told me this 1,000 times and yet I STILL keep forgetting!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif I seriously have to make this soon!!

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:56am
post #7 of 13

Awesome! Can't wait to try it!!

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

try it with milk chocolate ...YUM! extremely light and fluffy!!!

OK you have told me this 1,000 times and yet I STILL keep forgetting!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif I seriously have to make this soon!!

yes , do !!! i've done it with milk chocolate, semi sweet, bittersweet and hersheys special dark. my favorite is the milk chocolate as far as taste is concerned. i love how the darker chocolates make such a thick ganache that can be spread or piped... yum. they are are all delicious! one i've yet to try...white chocolate!

HerBoudoir Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 13

I use a slightly different method, more from the Cake Bible.

My chocolate-to-cream ratio is going to depend on how heavy I want the whipped ganache to be. The more cream, the lighter the ganache.

I melt the chocolate in the microwave with about 1/4 of the cream, stir well, let cool for a few minutes. I then whip the rest of the cream as I normally would for making whipped cream. When it hits about medium peak, I add the melted ganache. Great stuff icon_smile.gif

That's also the method I use to make a stablized whipped cream as well - I use a small amount of white chocolate to a larger amount of cream.

mom42ws Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 13

or, WBH has a hazelnut mousse which is heavy cream and nutella and it is very light and fluffy. and yummy!

ashley

CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 13

Melysa, check out the difference in using white choc for ganache, because when I tried just subbing white choc it was an icky mess and a waste. Don't want you to waste your ingred like I did. I haven't tried it again yet.

janbabe Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 13

So, does that mean white choc will be harder to make into ganache?

I have milk choc to make into ganache soon (which I have done before) and also I have to make a white ganache, which I haven't tried yet.

I just assumed it would whisk the same as the milk choc!

Anyone else had experience of white choc ganache?

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 13

i've always read that the ratio for white chocolate is 3:1 ...less cream , more white "chocolate" .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%