I Need Your Help....new Wheat And Egg Allergies

Lounge By gabbenmom Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm by tchrmom

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 16

I just found out that my four year old son (who is the pickiest eater in the world) is allergic to wheat and eggs. They want him to be totally free of both for 3 months and then will reintroduce it and see how he does. Typically he eats: chicken nuggets, pancakes, macaroni and cheese, yougurt, pudding, apples/applesauce, some other meat, bread and a few other things.
I am looking for any help any of you can give me.....recipes, tips/ pointers, foods you buy/are familiar with, ANY knowledge you can share. This is all very new to me! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! You are all so knowledgeable and I know you can help!
Thank you!!!
Heidi

15 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 16

I'm allergic to eggs, but I'm not terribly picky. It isn't a hard allergy when cooking for myself. It is just when I eat away from home.

Meat, pudding, yogurt and applesauce...at least you have those.

I'm pretty confident that you can make chicken nuggets with a breading that isn't wheat based. Have you found anything with the Food Allergy Network?

ziggytarheel Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 16

http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-gluten-free-chicken-nuggets.html

This recipe includes egg. However, I make recipes that are similar and simply coat the chicken in MILK, then the other ingredients. That could well work!

gabbenmom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #4 of 16

Ziggytarheel-
Thank you so much! Food allergy network? I had no idea. I will check into it! Also, thank you for the link to the recipe! It looks like a great sight! I think the egg allergy will be easier to deal with than the wheat allergy. Have you used the dry egg replacer for anything? Does it work in cakes? I bought some of that at the store the other day.

Thank you for your help! That is exactly the sort of things I need!

~Heidi

ziggytarheel Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 16

For whatever reason, my family and I don't like the aftertaste of the egg replacers. I've not found anyone else who felt this way!

I just bake for fun, so I either make a cake with egg for others, or use wacky cake or some other recipe for me to enjoy. There are lots of good vegan recipes. I have no problem with meat and animal products, but if I eat out and can choose "vegan", I know I'm safe. icon_smile.gif

I think there are some good recipes out there. Let me know if I can help more!

ziggytarheel Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 16

For whatever reason, my family and I don't like the aftertaste of the egg replacers. I've not found anyone else who felt this way!

I just bake for fun, so I either make a cake with egg for others, or use wacky cake or some other recipe for me to enjoy. There are lots of good vegan recipes. I have no problem with meat and animal products, but if I eat out and can choose "vegan", I know I'm safe. icon_smile.gif

I think there are some good recipes out there. Let me know if I can help more!

gabbenmom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 16

I read somewhere that you can relpace the eggs in different things by just adding more of another liquidy type ingredient. I guess I will have to try it. I was thinking a mix of applesauce and something else. Any ideas? What is your wacky cake?

Thanks

ziggytarheel Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 16

Here's an article that does a general overview of replacing eggs:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/eggsubstitute.htm

Honestly, even though I've been allergic to eggs for 15 years, I haven't done a lot of replacement baking. I just find recipes that don't require eggs.

Vegan mayo...it is expensive, but I use it occasionally. I can find it here at Whole Foods or at Harris Teeter.

There are tons of desserts that require no eggs, so I opt for those. And wacky cake is a common recipe. You can even find it on this site. Baking soda and vinegar help the cake to rise.

The wheat allergy is so much harder and I don't know a lot about it, so I would say you really recommend that you find out what to avoid because of wheat first. For example, I don't know what all is in vinegar...the label is kinda vague!

gabbenmom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you for the website and the help! You are right, the wheat one is going to be more of a challenge! I hope I will get it all figured out! (I hope icon_wink.gif )!

ziggytarheel Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 16
gabbenmom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you! I was looking at that one last night! It is a great one!

kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #12 of 16

For the wheat allergy try http://celiac.org/ . They have a lot of resources for a wheat-free lifestyle.

If you would like some specific recipes I can get quite a few for you, My youngest has been wheat & egg-free for the last 7 years.

An excellent resource for wheat allergy/celiacs disease (gluten intolerence) is this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1890627216/?tag=cakecentral-20

gabbenmom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #13 of 16

Thank you for the links kweenmommy! I need all the help I can get!

kweenmommy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:37am
post #14 of 16

Your welcome. Feel free to email me at maczanne @ hotmail dot com if you have any questions. Or if you just want to vent. Like I said I've been doing this for 7 years. Many hugs to you & your little one.

kweenmommy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #15 of 16

Your welcome. Feel free to email me at maczanne @ hotmail dot com if you have any questions. Or if you just want to vent. Like I said I've been doing this for 7 years. Many hugs to you & your little one.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 16

My suggestion was going to be the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network that someone mentioned above. Their newsletter has recipes that are free of various allergens.

Their acronym is FAAN and you can google it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%