Help! Gumpaste Problems!!

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 5:54am by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

I just tried making the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe but I have a thousand little hard lumps in it that seem impossible to knead out.

Is this normal, do they dissipate? Or did i do something wrong in mixing?

9 replies
FromScratch Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 10

Did you sift the powdered sugar? Has it rested overnight and they are still there? Sometimes it can feel lumpy, but after it sits it isn't anymore.

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 10

That's right. You should always sift your powdered sugar, even if it's pre-sifted. And any decorating paste - fondant, gumpaste, pastillage, chocolate clay - should be allowed to mature overnight.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 10

No, I didn't sift it and I just made it so I guess we'll see tomorrow.

It seemed to me the hard specs are from after I added the tylose.
Should I have beat it more than a few seconds after adding it?

What should the consistency be after adding tylose, I got nervous about over-mixing and stopped the mixer pretty soon after, but that's what the recipe called for.

It just seemed that the paste was inconsistent with tylose powder still in the bottom of my bowl and the little hard specs. I was hoping they'd knead out but they are the size of pinheads.

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I sift my tylose or gum trag right into my powdered sugar.

I had that problem with meringue powder a few times. Wilton told me it was because dampness had gotten into the container. It was a brand new container, so they sent me a replacement.

Also, I do not press the lumps in the bottom the sifter through. I throw them out, as that means they are damp, and possibly hard in the middle.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 10

So if you sift tylose right in, do you still look for a royal icing-like soft peak when mixing or does it just change it completely?

And when do you add color, then, since OG recipe says to add it before tylose.

Thanks for your help, I relly like the consistency in general of this gumpaste and am hoping it will solve some of my other problems (especially humidity)!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 10

I'm not an expert on the Nic Lodge recipe, as I use the Rosemary Watson method of gumpaste making.

Your best bet for mixing color into your pastes is to mix it into your liquid first.

The paste should process the same, perhaps a little faster with the tylose already added.

And if you ever find a miracle cure for humidity, let all of us know.

As for the lumps in your other batch -

You never mentioned if you let the paste rest overnight or not.

If you still have those lumps tomorrow, pick out as many as you can, roll them up, and put them on the ends of short wires, to use as stamens.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 10

I made it once without sifitng the powdered sugar in there were tons of lumps.. I sifted my next bag and it was full of these little rock-like things. ALWAYS sift your PS. I usually mix it for about 20-30 seconds after adding the tylose. You don't have to worry too much about overmixing. It does feel a little gritty after you add the tylose.. but it will go away after it matures. Good luck!!

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 10

I teach with that recipe, so I've made it a BAZILLON times - LOL! I don't add nearly the amount of powdered sugar it calls for. I also add the crisco in the mixer. I would use a shortning with transfat in it. I made a batch while teaching in Hawaii with the new crisco and it was very sticky.

If you would like a printed version of the "tweaked" recipe, just e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:54am
post #10 of 10

Just got back from work and saw these replies.
I want to thank you all again for helping!

When I posted I had literally just made the gumpaste, so it is resting now and I guess I'll see tomorrow if the grit is gone. I hope so, or I guess I'll be sifting and making another batch.
Wish me luck!

And JenniferMI, I just sent you an email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%