Re: Electric Guitar Help???

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 28 May 2008 , 2:43pm by frosting111

frosting111 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 5

My brother is coming to visit in July, he plays the electric guitar in various bands..I would love to make him an electric guitar cake for his birthday before he gets here's as a surprise....can someone who has done one give me some tips and advice on how to make one....I need to know how to achieve the shape,the fondant cut outs, pick guards, knobs, the strings,the neck, and cake board sizes etc...

Any and all help would be so very appreciated...

Thanks in advance,Mary icon_wink.gif

4 replies
daneza75 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hey Mary! Check out my pics, I did a life size replica of a friend's Epiphone Les Paul not too long ago. It was actually a LOT easier than I thought I was going to be!

Some tips:
- The body of the guitar is easy, just carve from a flat sheet cake
- I made the neck of the guitar out of styrofoam and suspened it from a few dowels that I hot glued to the cake board
- I made the strings from angel-hair pasta, layed end to end.
- For the metal details, NOTHING beats painting w/ silver HIGHLIGHTER dust (not luster dust) mixed with lemon extract or vodka
- For the details of the cake, it really helps to find the manufacturer's website for the guitar you're trying to make. A lot of times they provide really detailed close up photos, so you can really see every detail! That helped SO MUCH getting it to look exactly like the original, without having the original right in front of me.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you need any more advice!

daneza75 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 5

Hey Mary! Check out my pics, I did a life size replica of a friend's Epiphone Les Paul not too long ago. It was actually a LOT easier than I thought I was going to be!

Some tips:
- I made the neck of the guitar out of styrofoam and suspened it from a few dowels that I hot glued to the cake board
- For the metal details, NOTHING beats painting w/ silver HIGHLIGHTER dust (not luster dust) mixed with lemon extract or vodka
- For the details of the cake, it really helps to find the manufacturer's website for the guitar you're trying to make. A lot of times they provide really detailed close up photos, so you can really see every detail! That helped SO MUCH getting it to look exactly like the original, without having the original right in front of me.

frosting111 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

Now how cool is that, you did a great job girl, its awesome...LOVE the neck it looks REAL...and love the flip switch too..too cool...this is going in my favorites and don't be surprised to hear more from me closer to time it gets for me to make my brothers!

Thank you so much for replying, Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneza75

Some tips:
- For the metal details, NOTHING beats painting w/ silver HIGHLIGHTER dust (not ) mixed with lemon extract or vodka

frosting111 Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

My brother is coming to visit in July, he plays the electric guitar in various bands..I would love to make him an electric guitar cake for his birthday before he gets here's as a surprise....can someone who has done one give me some tips and advice on how to make one....I need to know how to achieve the shape,the fondant cut outs, pick guards, knobs, the strings,the neck, and cake board sizes etc...

Any and all help would be so very appreciated...

Thanks in advance,Mary icon_wink.gif

Re-circulating this forum again for more ideas...Thanks to everyone in advance, Mary

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%