What's A Decent, Inexpensive Starter Airbrush?

Decorating By mieyo Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm by beachcakes

mieyo Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 4

I'm looking to purchase an airbrush to begin playing with, and I've seen some on eBay for $25, but I'm rather wary about spending that on something I know should be a little more expensive. However, I don't know if this is something that'll really stick with me, so I'd love to know of easy to use, inexpensive "starter brushes", or kits, if applicable.

Also, I'd love any tips from veteran airbrushers to a newbie!

3 replies
stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 4

Hi mieyo,

I have the Badger...thirteen years and counting...icon_wink.gif

I purchased an air brush gun from ebay to use for luster dusts, etc (didn't want to take the chance messing up my Badger) and paid the same amount $25. It works fine, I purchased a larger needle from AC Moore to use...no complaints so far icon_biggrin.gif The gun came as a set: two bottles, mini hose(I don't use) removable cup for the gun. IMOP, you can't go wrong for the price. The compressor can be expensive...I recommend that you purchase one from AC Moore or Michaels with the coupon.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

mieyo Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the info! Now... This is going to sound really stupid, but are there like, specific cake compressors I need to purchase, or just any old one, or...?

beachcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 4

Please make sure the one you're buying from ebay has not been used for anything other than cake decorating. You wouldn't want to risk making anyone sick!

For the compressor, you don't want more than 30 psi or it'll blow holes in your frosting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%