British Cakemaker

Decorating By electrica77 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 1:40am by HerBoudoir

electrica77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
electrica77 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all,

i wasn't sure where to post this, but i wanted to introduce myself (I can't see an introductions forum) and ask if it's ok for me to post here, as I am British & living in Britain?

I am only just starting out with cakes- it's become an overwhelming urge since I embarked on a serious weight loss programme (A touch of the Monica Gellers I think!), and I think Americans make the best cakes, so I have been lurking here for a while!

There are obviously some differences between American and British baking- you use cups, we use metric/Imperial measures (I use Imperial usually but have a set of American cups), so I already have some rookie questions!

How much is a 'stick' of butter? We buy it here in one pound 'pats', and measure by weight.

And also, is fondant the same as what we call sugarpaste?

Hope to chat to you all more, and I have loved looking through the galleries at the amazing and beautiful designs! So much inspiration!

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 14

WELCOME!! We have members from ALL over the world.
A stick is a quarter pound.
Fondant = Sugarpaste
In the recipe section you will see plenty of recipes with metric measurements. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question here icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 14

Welcome! Actually, many of us love the British style of decorating! I think there are other converting sites that have been posted, but a quick google search turned up this:

http://www.pantsblazing.com/convert/vol_weight.php

I typed in butter, and it gave me the answer you needed. 225 g = 8 oz = 2 sticks of butter = 1 cup.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 14

Welcome!

I have to say I love the cake decorating styles that come from many different nations. My favorite magazine is Wedding Cakes, put out by Squires there in England. I wait very impatiently for the next quarterly publication to hit the stores!

Feel free to ask anything you want. We are all here to share and advise when we can!

Gayle
SE Michigan

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 14

Welcome to Cake Central. We are glad to have you as part of the group. Happy Baking.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 14

Hi Electrica! You'll find people from all over the world here, so you won't be alone in being non-US! I use a lot of American recipes for my cakes, so if you ever need a British translation/equivalent, please feel free to pm me. Welcome to Cake Central!

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 14

welcome to cc electrica..you'll love it here.. icon_smile.gif ...bobbie

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 14

Welcome electrica! Where are you in the UK? My mother-in-law lives in the north.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #9 of 14

A STICK OF BUTTER, COULD ALSO BE 8 TABLESPOONS..I WELCOME YOU TO CC HOPE WE ALL CAN HELP..THERE ARE SO MANY NICE FOLKS HERE, ANY HELP YOU NEED JUST ASK SOME WILL KNOW THE ANSWERS...AGAIN WELCOME

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:43am
post #10 of 14

Welcme to cc, hope you have fun browsing and learning.

electrica77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
electrica77 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #11 of 14

thank you all for being so welcoming, and explaining the fondant mystery and a stick of butter! Good to know I'm not the only non-US citizen here, I expect I'll become more familiar with different styles of cake as I progress. I didn't know there were cake magazines! (I really am a novice, eh?!) I'll have to look out for them!

A little about me: I live in Brighton on the South Coast of England (I think this is like a British equivalent of San Francisco, big gay community, lots of alternative lifestyles, lots of funky little shops and coastal life). I live with my fiancee/partner Jason and our 18 month old son Blake. I started getting interested in cakes around his first birthday, and was disappointed that I didn't have the time or the skills to make his birthday cake, but i hope to rectify that in coming years! I work full time in the defence industry after spending a year as a homemaker/mum, so this is a total break from what I do, and I would like to be able to sell a few cakes when I am good enough.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 14

Hi electrica, a big welcome to CC. I'm from Briton too. I live in surrey. I'm sure you are going to love every minute you spend in this site.

All the members are really helpful. I always turn to my second family here in CC for inspiration, help and support.

Again, Welocme.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #13 of 14

Welcome Electrica, I hope you will love CC as much as we all do, everyone here is like a part of my family & I have made some really good friends here. Don't hesitate to ask for help, this is the most wonderful & helpful community.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #14 of 14

Just wanted to add a Welcome icon_smile.gif

I'm American, but my folks are English - originally from Sheffield - they came over in 1963. I jokingly refer to myself as bilingual - I speak English English as well as American English.

I grew up on "English" baking - scones, shortbread, all those great things icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%