How Long Does Fondant Last Once Opened?

Decorating By lizamlin Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm by crazy4sugar

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all - There's a great sale near me on fondant in 2# and 5# buckets. I have a project soon where I'd use some but nowhere near all the bucket... so, is it worth the sale price -- will I be able to keep the fondant for a long time? Wrapped and re-wrapped in saran or the like? Fridge or no fridge (no is what I think...).

Thanks very much for your help!!

4 replies
sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 5

I bought some fondant a few months ago in a 5# bucket. I have used it a little at a time and it is still fine. I just make sure to wrap it up tightly and reseal the bucket each time. I wouldn't put it in the fridge. Mine has been just fine in stored in a cabinet.

HTH

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 5

a pamphlet i got with my fondant says it lasts 6 months to a year. i guess it also depends on the manufacturer. some fondant u can refridgerate. my local cake shop says they freeze their opened fondant and just rethaw. i keep my at room temp and it still tastes good after a few months.

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 5

I bought Satin Ice over a month ago, I keep it out. I went to check it yesterday because I need to use some this week and it is mostly fine.
It seems a little hard in some places. I wrapped it really well in the plastic it came in and kept it in the original tub. I read here that you can coat it in crisco and then wrap it. I probably should have done that.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

I opened my Satin Ice bucket about 6 months ago....no problems as of yesterday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%