Will This Look Ok?

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 9 May 2008 , 12:26pm by jessi01

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 28

I am doing a wedding this week and the sizes we have agreed upon are 16-12-8-6.... the question is will this look ok being that all are 4in in differance but the top, which will only be two

27 replies
sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 28

I think that it might look a little "odd" with only one tier not being the same height as the others. Maybe if you alternate so that ever other one is only 2 inches. If it were me I probably would make all of the tiers the same height

jessi01 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 28

they will be all the same height, 4in. but the difference will be in circumference with the 16-12-8- then a 6

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 28

Hey Jessi-

Use your pans to eyeball it to see what you think. Flip them over and stack them up and see if you like what you see.

I don't have a 16", otherwise I would do it and tell ya what I honestly think. icon_lol.gif

Hey, by the way...I am originally from PA! I'm transplanted in OH now and love it, but I miss lots about "home"- Tastycakes, birch beer, lebanon bologna, Utz potato chips....shall I go on????? icon_cry.gif

-Michelle

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 28

I can't really picture that in my head. A lot of help I am! If it doesn't look right to you, do you have a 4" pan? That would keep the dimensions the same.

jessi01 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 28

thanks for the input, I'm not sure what to do because I still need to give them the same amount of servings... BUT the top is just for the bride and groom right?.... maybe I can cut it down to 4in - I don't have 4 in pans... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I don't know!!!

Michelle~ I know Grandma utz's! the only kind I can buy!! where in Pa were your from??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 28

I've made that set up sooooo many times it's not funnyicon_smile.gif It will look just fine.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi01

Michelle~ I know Grandma utz's! the only kind I can buy!! where in Pa were your from??

From Central PA...Lewistown to be exact...in the valley...about 30 miles from PSU campus. My brother (and other relatives) still lives there, my mom is in York and my dad is in Shermans Dale. Kinda all over, huh?

-Michelle

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 28

Sorry I was confused in my earlier post. I am sure that it will look fine with those sizes.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 28

I made this same sized wedding cake (my first one, so I didn't really think about the sizes like you are). I think it looked fine and, although mine is a little crooked, the sizes I would do again.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_961773.html

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #11 of 28

[quote="jessi01"]thanks for the input, I'm not sure what to do because I still need to give them the same amount of servings...

How many servings were you wanting to get?

Janice

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #12 of 28

It will look just fine! You want to have a good 2" all the way around to allow for a border or any floral decor to be added on the tiers. Not too fear!

The topper whether it be a figurine of sorts or flowers will detract from the difference in size. No one will notice. Whatever is on the top will add height and that is where the eye is going to go.

I can't wait to see this cake. Can you please post back here when you post the pic? I want to see this beauty!

Good luck with it!

Amy

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #13 of 28

jessi01, your cakes are great! I'm in Lancaster, not far at all. What a small world!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #14 of 28

It's totally fine.
And as Indydebi will tell you, don't do a 4", it's a PITA.

jessi01 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 28

Wow! thanks for all the replies! I had left to go buy some supplies for this cake and while there decided to change the tiers to 14-12-10-8-6 all for the sake of keeping things even..I added another tier! anyway had i checked here first I woulnt have But I think it will look ok...Now.......covering that much cake in mmf?? how much will I need to make icon_cry.gif

mjballinger~ Im from Lancaster! and still not that far! that is a small world!

cakemommy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 28

Now you're making more work for yourself. This must be a big wedding! That's going to be a lot of cake!!!

Good luck with it!

You will probably need 20 lbs of MMF! Someone else here would be able to give you a better approx.

Amy

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 28

I'd think 15 lbs to be on the safe side? According to the cakesbysam chart, 11.5. MMF doesn't roll as thin as commercial fondant. Maybe it's just me!
http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21932&category_id=257

jessi01 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:08am
post #18 of 28

thanks! does anyone know how much one batch of rhondas mmf makes? thats the recipe I use, is that one pound?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #19 of 28

It makes about 5lbs if I remember right. I haven't made it in a long time.

Do you need 200+ servings? That's a ton of cake. icon_smile.gif

jessi01 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #20 of 28

thanks! yes I know it's a ton of cake... I figure we'll have about 10-15 extra servings, but it's for a friend so a little over is ok

cakemommy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #21 of 28

That's no problem then! I always want seconds when I eat cake! The guests will love it!!!!

Let us know when you post the pic.

Amy

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #22 of 28

While I haven't done a wedding cake yet and I know it would be another layer to make and decorate. I think it was a good decision to change the cake sizes. I think the difference on the top would look off. It would bother me seeing a bigger "ledge" around the other cakes and not the top one. Good luck, can't wait to see pics.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:36pm
post #23 of 28

10-15 extra isn't bad at all.. icon_smile.gif good luck with your cake and I can't wait to see pictures.

jessi01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #24 of 28

ok, here it is... It' ended up being a very tough week, my son fell and ruptured his spleen so I spent my days in the hospital and my nights baking.. I know this could have been better had I not been so exhausted.
I think I might have liked it better had I went with the first plan icon_cry.gif I don't know, It seems too skinny to me... maybe it's just the fatigue talking, but anyway, thanks for all your input I love haveing my CC friends to bounce ideas off of thumbs_up.gif
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #25 of 28

It's a pretty cake. You did well especially under the circumstances!
I never have liked cakes that were just 2" different. I guess I'm old fashioned...I want 4" differences icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #26 of 28

While I love the colors and the actual design, the original 4" difference definately would have been a better look.

I am sorry to hear about your son. I hope he is doing well and that you get the rest you need!!!

Amy

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:36am
post #27 of 28

awww that is a sweet cake!

if you don't mind, how many batches of MMF did you eventually make to cover that cake?

jessi01 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #28 of 28

thanks! I made 5 batches but only used about 3 1/2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%