Are There Any Bulging Issues With The Upside Down Method

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 3:03am by xstitcher

xstitcher Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:28am
post #1 of 7

Hi All!

I would like to try the upside down method of icing a cake but was wondering about a couple of things first.

1) I normally layer my cakes and crumb coat the night before as I have learned from other posts on CC and was wondering how this method would effect any bulging/settling of the cake as it seems it is done all at the same time (minus the cooling time recommended of course)

2) I was also wondering if anyone has tried this method on a square/sheet cake and if so how did it go?

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

Thanks, looking forward to your replies, have a great weekend!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

It doesn't matter if you ice your cake right-side-up or upside-down - if you don't give the torte ample time to settle, you are going to have a bulge, because the weight distribution is the same.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

beemarie Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:25am
post #3 of 7

I've used the upsidedown technique several times, and what I do is after the cake is assembled (upsidedown, of course) I put a crumb coat on and let it sit for a few hours before I put on the final coating of icing. I haven't had a bulging issue when I do it this way.

xstitcher Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:36am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

It doesn't matter if you ice your cake right-side-up or upside-down - if you don't give the torte ample time to settle, you are going to have a bulge, because the weight distribution is the same.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Theresa!

Can I ask you then what your thoughts would be on how to attempt this method then? Or do you think I should just stick to what I have been doing? I don't want to go to all the effort of making the cake and then have it all bulge when I try to ice it.
If I do attempt this method, would you recommend that I go ahead and layer then crumb coat the cake first and let it sit overnight and then try the upside down technique? Would that even work? I'm hoping to find a somewhat less painful way (if there is such a thing) to smoothing my cakes. I'm sure lots of practice will help but I haven't had to much of that yet.

Thanks again! icon_confused.gificon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:40am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarie

I've used the upsidedown technique several times, and what I do is after the cake is assembled (upsidedown, of course) I put a crumb coat on and let it sit for a few hours before I put on the final coating of icing. I haven't had a bulging issue when I do it this way.

Thx beemarie,

I got busy (baby woke up) and didn't get a chance to hit the submit button so I didn't see your reply until now. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

alanahodgson Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 7

The only time I've had bulging issues is when my dam is too soft. I use this method 99% of the time. If you're intent on doing the crumb coat, I would suggest building the cake upside down as the method indicates and then rather than puting a final coat on the sides, do your crumb coat then. let the cake settle, then do your final icing coat. Also, to avoid bulging on the flip, I will sometimes chill the cake really well still upside down, then flip and peel off the parchment after the icing/filling has had time to get nice and firm in the fridge.

xstitcher Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #7 of 7

Thanks alanahodgson!

It appears that both you and Beemarie are pretty much in agreement so I'll give it a try the next time I have to ice a cake!

Thanks again to all of you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%