Last Minute Help-Please?

Decorating By SuHwa Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm by DianeLM

SuHwa Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:27am
post #1 of 3

I'm having a problem with my crusting buttercream that I've never had before. It's drying very quickly on the outside, but when I go to smooth it, it's still very wet just below the surface. I've tried putting it in the fridge, blowing it with a fan, waiting extra time, and finally, used a hot spatula. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I've been up too long making these cakes for a wedding and I'm dying to go to bed. I'd love my groom's cake to look as good as the brides, but if I don't get that darned cowboy hat smoothed, it's going to look terrible.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

2 replies
SarahJane Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:25am
post #2 of 3

Hi, I don't know how humid it is in Texas, but for me in Hawaii - I've never gotten the crusting buttercream thing to work EVER! It just never dries, there is too much humidity in the air. I had to give up on it icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 3

Stop putting it in the frig!! That's the main problem. Condensation is forming on the chilled cake, which is keeping your icing wet where it touches the cake. Let the cake come to room temp before trying to smooth the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%