Does Anyone Put 2 Pans Into The Oven

Baking By mysonshines Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm by sallene

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 16

at once? I'm wondering if I'm ridiculous in waiting to put only one cookie sheet in the center of the oven at a time. detective.gif

15 replies
Happybug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happybug98 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #2 of 16

It depends on the type of oven you have. I have a true convection oven and instead of heating from the bottom it blows air through the entire oven at a constant temperature so I can bake as many cookies as I can fit in there. If you have a traditional oven then I would only put one pan in at a time. Otherwise your cookies will not bake evenly and you will have some that are not done while others are burned. I hope this helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #3 of 16

When I baked at home, I would put two in but I would rotate them.

For example, let's just say the cookies had to bake for 20 minutes. I'd put one sheet on the top rack. After 10 minutes, I'd put a 2nd sheet on the bottom rack. 10 mins later, the top one is done, so I take that out, and move the bottom rack sheet to the top rack for it's last 10 minutes of baking. Put a new sheet on the bottom rack. So every 10 minutes, I'm moving the top sheet out, the bottom sheet up and a new sheet on the bottom. Bear in mind that I was baking 10 or 15 sheets of cookies on a daily basis back then, so saving 10 minutes on 10 sheets was cutting my baking time by over an hour.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 16

I have a normal big oven. Today I put 1-10" round & 2-8" rounds in at the same time. They always bake up beautifully~ I've put different sizes in at a time & I will sometimes have to take some out before others but they still turn out fine~ Saves me time & that's always good icon_smile.gif

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #5 of 16

I asked myself the same question the other day and decided to try it yesterday. I have a large order for next week and needed to speed up the process, so I got brave and tried two sheets at a time. Guess what?? No problem! Wish I'd thought of it before! Sounds like indydebi has it down to a science!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 16

Oh man, gotta try this! Sometimes my mom is here all day baking with me because we only put in one sheet at a time! Will try the indydebi rotating sheet trick next time we bake! icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 16

I use all my racks at a time...less enery and time to bake!!! I'd be here all day baking if I didn't!!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #8 of 16

I think each person's ovens are different. When I had a normal conventional oven I could only do one rack at a time near the top of the top oven. I couldn't ever get the cookies in my bottom oven to turn out perfect. I'm super picky though. Now that I have a convection oven I do 2 sheets at a time and it bakes a lot faster too. Love it love it love it! When or if you're oven needs replacing...do consider convection!!!!!!!!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 16

I have a Bosch true european convection oven.. I can put in THREE racks at a time! They are all evenly baked, none more so than the other. It is a life saver. Growing up, we would do the rotating thing like IndyDebi said.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 16

You guys are killin me. I was drooling over a convection oven at HD the other day. Got that tax money comin and it's making me want to do things that I shouldn't do....like buy a convection oven when I should pay down credit cards!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

You guys are killin me. I was drooling over a convection oven at HD the other day. Got that tax money comin and it's making me want to do things that I shouldn't do....like buy a convection oven when I should pay down credit cards!

Look at this way...with a convection oven, like the one I got, it has 3 racks... I am saving gas money because the oven isnt on as long, especially when baking cookies. More effeciency means more profit, right? icon_smile.gif We got ours from HHGregg, the zero interest for 12 months thing...and worked hard to pay it off before the 12 months were over so we didnt pay any extra.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 16

Right now, I have in 2-8" rounds; 2-6" rounds and 1-6" square. I have never, ever (knock on wood) had a problem baking like this in my oven. (I have a regular oven in a licensed home-based bakery.) If I have anything larger than an 8" in the oven, I rotate 1/2 through the cycle, but again, I've never had a single problem with them not baking properly and beautifully.

Amy

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 16

I just have a reg oven and I always put 2 cookie sheets in at a time! Maybe I got lucky because the top and bottom rack both bake the same! I bake cakes on top and bottom to with no problems !

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 16

I put more than one in at a time. I just noticed one side cooks more than the other so I rotate them about half way through. I also lower my cooking temp a little. hope this helps.

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #15 of 16

i also cook two at a time rotating just like indydebi. I have a 30 year old electric oven and still works wonders.

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 16

I usually put 2 -3 sheets of cookies in at a time. I don't have any issues. If I notice the bottom rack cookies are getting too brown, I rotate, but that's usually not an issue. It kind of depends on the type of cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%